Jessie Gerard Trail

Jessie Gerard Trail is a 3.3 mile loop trail located near Barkhamsted, CT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October.

The starts at East River Road near the old Indian Settlement known as Barkhamsted Lighthouse. The right trail fork goes through the lighthouse site and continues northerly to the Chaugham Lookouts. The left trail fork climbs more directly to the overlooks by 299 stone steps. The views from this area are some of the best in the state. Continuing north, the trail passes between the Veeder Boulders to the picnic area on Greenwoods Road. Distance - 1.3 miles.

Nice deep wood trails.

As most reviewers put, the initial climb was a good cardio workout. The trail is rated moderate and most of the trail are just that. But I would make the steep beginning a strenuously moderate. I would rate this trail as dog friendly. My Golden Retriever was able to climb even the steep part at the East River Road entrance with little help. (No scrambling involved) The scenic overlooks are all they are professed to be. I am looking forward to returning in a month just to enjoy the fall colors. We hiked the Jessie Gerard trail and then lengthened our hike by taking the Charles Pack trail and returning to the trail head on the Robert Ross Trail and Falls Cutoff Trail. This made for an enjoyable and challenging 7.2 mile trek . The trails are marked well in some places and completely confusing in others. With the help of the American Legion & People's State Forest Map, and gps from AllTrails, we were able to stay on track for most of the way. Good hiking boots are recommended for this hike.

Beautiful, quiet climb with a phenomenal view! Pleasantly suprised by the waterfall.

The initial climb was challenging but the views were worth it. Lots of boulders to climb and it looked like there were several other trails to follow so we will return to explore this area more.

A great hike! We started off on the Falls Cut-off trail, which is a nice steep climb up a mostly rock path that meets up with the Jessie Gerard. Along the JG there are two expansive and pretty epic overlooks that I highly recommend. The whole experience was a beautiful and lovely challenge that made us work up a bit of a sweat!

Love the hike up the waterfall and yes it is steep literally a stone staircase for much of the first quarter mile and boulders after that to the top of the falls once you get to top of the falls it is not so bad, There are two overlooks off this hike.

I don't know what that other person was talking about the trail being steep! It was an easy hike as long as you follow the path and follow it back down the same way

A fairly steep climb from the East River Road entrance to the first lookout. There are several places to catch a great view and relax. Highly recommend it. I hike this trail every year. For those who aren't into the up hill challenge, I recommend entering from the picnic area at the top from Greenwoods Road. Its a shorter and more level walk to the gorgeous views.