Indian Council Caves Trail

Indian Council Caves Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Barkhamsted, Connecticut that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

July 12, 2016 At end of hike, a mother bear and 3 cubs about 1/4 mile from trailhead on Legeyt Rd Rt 179. Had to backtrack and take a different trail back. Easy walk to the caves. The trail starts near the second pond. Tricky to get to tops of caves. Very cool.

Nice trail, very peaceful, tons of birds. Definitely moderate not easy with lots of ups and downs and some rocks to scramble over at the end in order to explore the caves. Everyone's tips posted here to cross the street and jump the guardrail together trailhead were very helpful, thanks! Lots of chipmunks but no bears for us.

I walked at a good clip for an hour and never hit the caves. I went alone, which I would not recommend as the trail is very remote and bears live in the area. I would say it's moderately difficult. Small hills and lots of rocks/tree roots.

Well we ran into bears

Quite interesting and I would say it's an easy/moderate trail

The trail was pretty decent. I'm glad I read the reviews to know we had to cross the street to get to the trail. It wasn't my favorite trail, but it was pretty. I thought the caves were going to be more spectacular than they were. The trail is marked very well so it's hard to miss where you have to go. The trail itself doesn't look like much. You have to single file through it because it's not wide enough to walk side by side. I probably won't head back to this one but it's fun just being out in nature.