Hurd State Park

Hurd State Park is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Hampton, CT that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great daily hike. I go often with the dogs. They know every trail backwards. There's actually a bunch of unknown deep woods trails. Great hidden hikes. Deeper trails lead to George Dudley Park and Higganum Meadows.
Split rock trail has a great view and vet looking the water and if trailed follow down it will lead to waterfront, picnic tables, port o potties.

We spent the biggest part of the day hiking the various trails of this State Park. It was a relatively easy hike with a couple of nice overlooks. The trails were well marked and there were picnic areas and rest rooms scattered throughout the park. I was disappointed by the amount of time we spent hiking former roads, gravel roads, and currently used roads instead of being on hiking trails. I sometimes felt that we were going for a Sunday walk instead of a hike. The red trail took us down a hill overlooking the Connecticut River that was picture worthy. Here we found a couple of large trees that beavers had previously damaged. This is also where we found a discarded hypodermic needle and syringe. Hikers Beware!!!

Proceeding along the yellow trail, we enjoyed our lunch on a picnic table overlooking Carlson Pond. It was a pretty little area that added to the days enjoyment. We saved the best for last and visited Split Rock and River Vista next. It was an ok view but again we were reminded of being in an inner city as the graffiti artists marked the overlook. Hiking with my family made this day enjoyable, but the negatives outweighed the positives on this particular hike. There are many hikes I've done that I would like to do again in another season. This is not one of them.

Hiked to Split Rock Vista easy hike along a trail and the road. Came here as part of the Sky's the Limit Challenge 2015. Nice park easy hike. Hit a few geocaches along the way. Good times.

Easy trail with running stream and picnic areas.

The big rock was pretty cool but the view wasn't all that. Very quick hike.

good hiking trails mostly easy to moderate. split rock vista offers great views and a nice rock face. trail system marked well with many options. spent the better part of a full day checking it all out.

Spent Sunday afternoon at Hurd State Park. Beautiful little gem of a park located on east side of the CT River just off Rte 151. My sister and I hiked the red trail starting from the pavilion. There was plenty of parking and pit toilets throughout the park. The red trail started slightly off to left of pavilion and follows a wide path until it goes smaller crossing over a stone wall. There are stone walls through the whole park, something that I love about CT. Somehow we lost the red trail as it came out into the road and walked further to the river trail marking sign. We followed this wide path down to a grassy knoll on the riverbanks where people were fishing and picnicking. Along the wooded edge we picked up the red trail again and ascended up a steep hill until we met the yellow trail to the vistas overlooking the river. This is a great spot to rest and have a snack. Following the yellow trail will bring you back to main road just slightly west of the parking/pavilion road.