Hell Hollow

Hell Hollow is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Voluntown, CT and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

We started at Hell's Hollow, up the Quinebaug Trail to Flat Rock and down the Pachaug.
Eight miles or so. Lovely hike but the trail blazes could use some work.

The hike started easy enough from Hells Hollow Pond. The blue blazed trail was simple to follow over moderately easy terrain for the first third of the hike. There the trails became confusing and difficult to follow. There are many intersecting trails of various colors and unless you have a DEP Pachaug State Forest Map with you, you will get confused very quickly. I tried to use the map from All Trails as a guide for the hike. That won't happen again. The 3 mile hike turned into a 7.2 mile hike and we never made it around the toe of the boot depicted on the map.

The hike itself was quite nice. Lady Slippers frequently graced the trails. The woods are so clean and peaceful. A rather large doe bounded off the trail startled by our intrusion of her domain. I would rate the hike as easy to moderately easy. A great hike for beginners. But take the DEP Forestry Map with you.

Started a Phillip's Pond and followed the blue blazed trail until we hit Trail Rd and followed that back to Phillip's Pond for a 3.6 mile easy loop. Good condition on the trails. Track in link.

For an interesting loop, I started at Phillips Pond in the Pachaug State Forest, which is a small but delightful gem in its own right. From there, I took the Phillips Pond Trail (blue/red) to the Pachaug Trail (blue) to Hell Hollow Pond. From there, I continued down Pachaug until I picked up the Quinebeag Crossover (yellow), and then picked up the Quinebeag (blue) to the north shore of Lockes Meadow Pond. This section is the most difficult, as it most closely resembles a washed-out road, complete with rocks and a lot of sand.

I backtracked down Quinebeag back through Hell Hollow. The very last segment is the trickiest, because the Quinebeag takes a very unexpected sharp left before it starts to run parallel to Pachaug Forest Trail One. However, it will take you back to Phillips Pond.

The area apparently got its name because the rocky land made life hard for those who tried to farm it. The Quinebaug and Pachaug trails run through the area. Parking is available at Hell Hollow Pond on Hell Hollow Road; this is where the best views of the pond can be found.