Green Falls Pond

Green Falls Pond is a 1.7 mile loop trail located near Voluntown, Connecticut that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and canoeing and is best used from April until October.

canoeing

beach

Nice loop around the pond with some rocky areas.

If you look at my track, you will see why I call this trail Green Falls Pond Plus. My Grandson and I turned this 1.7 mile loop into a 9.2 mile hike that took into Rhode Island. The loop around Green Falls Pond is very easy and family friendly. At the south end of the pond is a small waterfall and the runoff from Green Falls Pond. This blue Narragansett Trail is the highlight of the trip around the pond. It takes you about a half mile down to Green Falls Road and then you can backtrack back to the pond and finish circling it. This little stretch is moderate with lots of rocks and ledges to get over and around. It is a beautiful little stretch that is a must see. On the Northeast side of the pond, we headed out on the Blue Narragansett Trail that took us down to Hidden Lake. We took an assortment of different trails that brought us to Yawgoog Pond, a Boy Scout Camp Area. From there we doubled back taking the blue/yellow trail that goes along the border of CT & RI. There were various large rock formations (Dinasaur Caves/Cliffs) that we had to climb over. All the trails we covered today were pretty easy with a touch of (moderate) here and there. National Geographic has a pretty good map of the area trails. It can be found at www.mdc.net/~dbrier/yawgoog/trails. One note of concern was the damage being done by the Gypsy Moth Caterpillars. The trails are littered with pieces of green leaves. If you stop while hiking, you can hear them munching the foliage. Hopefully they won't strip the trees like they did in the late 1970's. It was a fun day capped off with a swim at Green Falls Pond beach area where we started and ended the hike.

Excellent hike. Well marked and beautiful. Will be going back there again!

Okay hike. A few scrambly parts. The lake is nice for swimming and boating. If you camp, camp away from the actual campsites. There are a few good spots off the trail near the dam.

Very popular area. Nice easy hike and you can go for a swim.

I completed part of this trail on 6/21/15 as part of an approximate 10 mile hike that started in RI. I parked at the Yawgoog Scout Camp near the southeast corner of Yawgoog Pond. If you turn right to stay on Camp Yawgoog Park Road when you approach the main entrance of the camp there is a very large dirt parking area. Camp was not in session at the time. I walked through the entrance and straight toward where I figured the dam at the south end of the pond would be. After a little walking through a section of camp I found the yellow-blazed trail. I followed this across the dam, around the south end of the pond, and then followed the same trail up the west side of the pond. I crossed Camp Yawgoog Road and followed the white blazed trail around the east side off Hidden Lake, and then north where it met the blue blazed Freedom Trail heading west. I followed the blue blazed trail to the CT border and continued west to Green Falls Pond. I hiked south down the east side of Green Falls Pond, spent some time at the dam, and then followed the gorge south. What an awesome section of trail! I then headed east on Green Falls Road, took an unmarked side trail north back up toward Green Falls Pond, and then reversed course back to the white-blazed trail north of Hidden Lake, which I followed back into Camp Yawgoog. I then followed the Camp Yawgoog Road through part of the camp to where I was parked. Some tremendous views along this hike! Also some challenging areas, and an overall great hike.

First hike of the season with teenage kids and our dog. Great, easy trail with awesome views. Very well marked.