Gay City State Park Trail

Gay City State Park Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hebron, CT that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This place is good for beginners who want to get the taste of hardcore downhills when it comes to biking. This is not a very long trail but some patches are very rugged and rocky which will give u a feel of pure mountain biking.

This trail is really good if you want to hike or mountain bike. The difficulty is definitely moderate and the trail size is small. There are many rocky down hills but nothing crazy. Not for average bikes because the terrain is bumpy at places.

This was a fabulous hike! Tons of choices, easy to follow trail maps at various points. Signposts state which trails are easiest. I loved that the red trail had some elevation and slightly more challenging areas.

For an easy afternoon hike with several nice views of ponds and Brooks, this is a great trail.

This State Park offers so much for a family day. There is swimming, hiking, & fishing. There is also a nice picnic area and rec field. The trails we hiked were moderate to easy most of the time. We did the majority of the Red Trail and then ventured out on the Blue Trail, Shenipset trail that took us to Birch Mountain Road and across it where we entered another trail system. ( See my tracks) We extended the hike to just under 10 miles. The trails were very well marked and interesting to follow. There were hills, brooks, rivers and a small lake or two.The trails are clean and the scenery varying. It will make a most picturesque hike once the leaves are out.
See the photos for a map of the other trail system across Birch Mountain Road.

Beautiful but a bit rocky grateful pony had on trail boots

One of my regular spots. There are so many places to stop. So peaceful. One of my favorite places is the large boulder and also to the left of the pond on the way in. The old stonework there is beautiful, and it is complimented by the brook next to it. There is a lot here to discover.

The red loop is a very pleasant relatively flat 6 or so miles.
It has some road, un paved road and some single track.
This morning we saw 2 owls in a nearby tree which was a nice treat.

horse flies, horse flies, horse flies. sorry i have nothing more to add as my entire 5 mile hike was ruined by...you guessed it, horse flies.

We started the day with the plan of hiking through Glacial boulders trail. Since it was hard for us to find the trail head, we got into Gay City State Park.! The park is such a beautiful place to spend a day. All the trails are well marked and we stuck to red trail. We walked for around 5.5 miles.. Glad We went there.!! :) :)

There is so much more to this park than one day will show you. Get off the trails and explore. Good night mountain biking

Stuck to the red trail (5 miles). the map they give you at tue gate is just a sheet of paper printed in black amd white so it is a little difficult to figure out what tail starts where.
overall a nice, easy trail to kill some time in the afternoon. Most of the wet spots had a detour so you don't have to go through the mud.
cost $9 for residents on weekends and holidays and there wasn't off site parking that I saw so I recommend going on a weekday afternoon.

We took a quick hike on the White Trail today and enjoyed the sunny day. It was well marked and maintained . I would not recommend running this leg of the park trail due to the ruts and loose rocks. Some slight hills and low areas that did have some standing water so dont forget your dryer sheets to keep the gnats and mosquitoes away. Very quiet and peaceful.

Stuck to the red blaze trail mostly. This is a nice, little area with an easy hike. Trails are very well-marked, and there are trail maps placed periodically throughout the park. A couple of areas were actually blocked by water, but the detours were quite navigable. I was taken a bit by surprise by a truck pulling out onto the trail ahead of me as I neared the end (along with a large group of men and boys) - hadn't realized there was a youth camping area tucked in here! The entrance to the park also has a nice, open area with a few picnic tables and grills. Very few people on the trails, which was nice!