Connecticut Audubon Society Bafflin Sanctuary

Connecticut Audubon Society Bafflin Sanctuary is a 1.5 mile point-to-point trail located near Pomfret Center, CT. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1.5 miles 101 feet Point to Point

This is a great series of inter-connecting trails in Pomfret Connecticut that have multiple entrances quiet and parking areas. These trails crisscross through open farmland, and over multiple streams by means of well maintained bridges.

I grew up in Pomfret, so I've been hiking in the Bafflin Sanctuary for a long time, and it's got a special place in my heart. Like the nearby Edwin Teale Memorial Sanctuary in Hampton, there are dozens of interesting sights spread over small acreage, including a number of meadows, streams, small ponds, and converted farm fields. As you might expect from an Audubon sanctuary, this is a great place for birding.

The trails are well-maintained and not strenuous in the least, although newcomers may find them hard to navigate. There's no colored blaze system, and much of the outdated signage doesn't correlate to places on the map. But it's a small park and you can do a decent job of keeping your bearings by using intersections and bodies of water on the map.

One of the most striking features of the Bafflin Sanctuary is the hemlock ravine, a dwindling niche habitat that offers beautiful evergreen trees on a steep-sided ravine flanking Day Brook. Be sure to check it out along with Alfalfa Hill, which offers one of the best views of the sunset anywhere in Pomfret.

For my full write-up and recommendations, check out the Unarmed Hunting blog.

I really enjoyed the different sceneries - woods, meadows, cornfields, marshes, streams, brooks, etc., but I didn't like that there were barely any markers and that I didn't know exactly what trail I was on or where I was heading, because they all intertwined so it was hard to stay on a specific trail.

This was a very easy trail and excellent for the novice hiker. The scenery varied from cornfields to woodlands, to grassy meadows, to wetlands. The trails were well worn and interconnecting. This caused some confusion as some of the connecting trails were not noted on the Bafflin Sanctuary Map. The trails were not color coded which added to several confusing moments and extra miles being added to our hike. Thankfully there was an occasional sign which helped us get our bearings. This is an excellent trail for a family hike. It just needs to be tweaked with color coded blazes and an updated map.

You can do this one of two ways: 1. Go in through the "front door," as I did last week, starting at the Center, or 2. Go in through the "back door," that is, parking at the Air Line Trail Access point on Railroad Street in Pomfret, and picking up the northern trails from there, which is what I did today. Whichever way you choose, you are guaranteed a lot of variety: woods, fields, farmland, and streams. The trails are gentle with no serious uphills.