Chauncey Peak Trail

Chauncey Peak Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Meriden, CT that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

They recently rerouted the trail up to the peak. This new trail makes the trek much more accessible to many more people. It's a very interesting hike with lots to see. Great rock formations at the peak, view of Crescent Lake and the surrounding towns. To lengthen the hike, at the base of the hill, instead of turning left to head back toward the lake, you can turn right on the blue trail, head up the hill and pick up the red trail. We then picked up the yellow trail and headed up a gentle incline to Lamentation Mountain. This connects you to the blue trail at the peak of Lamentation, a nice ridge trail which then descends back to the parking lot. Adding this piece gave us close to another 3 miles.

The newly blazed trail up the steep is a lot easier with a few switchbacks. Nice scenic 2 mile loop.

Went in autumn and it's such a breathtaking view. Worth every step!

My hands down favorite !!! My dogs and I do this climb, hike often. In the fall the views are incredibly beautiful !! From the 1st peak you overlook the town, road, cars going by. Further peaks overlook the water, quarry, clear days you can see the golf course.
Once at the bottom of the climb there's multiple, multiple trails, views, waterfall, even a tee pee tribute to a local hiker who was well known on these trails.
A MUST DO !!

Love it you need a good pair of hiking boots it is intense for a beignet in many places but if you are a seasoned hiker it is a joy

love this park! many options for all tastes. left of the reservoir nice casual inclines to some great views then the option to hike for miles along the ridgeline or right of reservoir for a short but steep hike to Chauncey Peak and some great views as you check out the Quarry or stay closer to the ridge overlooking the reservoir

A great hike that has multiple trail options for a variety of skill levels. We took the trail up to lamentation mountain went back to loop around the reservoir on the technical blue trail. the descent down to the parking lot is difficult and requires some bordering and care due to loose rocks. When we were going a couple with two dogs were having a hard time getting their dogs down safely, so the blue loop may not be the most dog friendly, but the easier loop that hugs the reservoir is much ore kid and dog friendly.

I went right of the dam and it was tough but fun to the top then the views were great. overall one of my favorite shorter trails

Started to the right of the dam, steep short hike to the top, beautiful view, nice loop hike around the body of water. Last portion was a level easy hike.

My husband and I took our 12 and 10 year old. We brought waters. In the summer, you don't need to pack a sweatshirt for the summits. But you may need to in the spring and fall. Hiking shoes a must. Many reviews say the trail is not well marked. I found it very well marked. The hiking at some points are difficult. Steep inclines that are about three flights of stairs up are the worse you will scale. We hiked clockwise Andi would recommend it. I gave it four stars because when you get to the summit it is hard to find the trail marking to go back down. We found an area that wasn't marked and made our way back down to meet up with the trail. Overall this is our go to hike because of the views and the hike is a workout too.

As advised by many we started on the right of the dam. There is no slight incline to the top, it is a straight to the top hike. Some of the path gets s bit sketchy when you're climbing over rocks but once you get to what looks like rock steps you are done. If you can deal with the steep incline, the hike itself is fairly short. The views at top are spectacular. There is a lot of exploring to do once at the top and mostly on flat land. We Followed the blue trail which was marked throughout our walk clearly. After some time stopping at various vistas to take in the breathtaking views we started the decline down in the lake side. I highly recommend going down this side unless you have some great hiking boots and a pole because the dam side is no joke and could be dangerous going down. The lake side has a few steep spots but overall not bad. Once at the bottom we follows the lake back to my car. Wonderful hike I'd def do it again.

Nice simple trail. Great nature walk

I hiked around the lake first, then went up the left side. Plenty of steep areas, but I am glad I went up the left side. The views were beautiful. Coming down on the right side of the mountain was tricky without hiking poles, but being very careful going down the trail made it doable. I'm definitely bringing poles next time. I used a big stick this time around.

What a hike! We started on the left side which started off flat and easy. Then we hiked up the mountain side that involved steep climbs all the way to the top of peak where it flattened out again. Wow, what a view! Amazing! We continued to the tip top peak which was amazing, you are really getting a birds eye view of the entire area. Then we went down the rock wall which was steep and challenging. Very doable with the right attitude and taking your time. Dogs should be leased on this hike because there are cliffs and rocks to fall from during the hike. It had moderate traffic with avid hikers to young people looking for views. Bring your hiking poles to make it easier.

Beautiful scenery, pretty easy hike. Nice if you just want to hike for about an hour.