Chapman Pond

Chapman Pond is a 2.8 mile trail located near East Haddam, CT. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking.

2.8 miles 585 feet

This is a very scenic loop. I'm not sure how I would rate the difficulty as although you do start off going downhill to a view of the pond (and often interesting bird life within) most of the last two thirds is all uphill of varying degrees, through some beautiful woodlands. I can push through this in an hour at a fast pace, but if I am being more leisurely, this is typically more like an hour and a half. It is a well marked trail with occasional nature facts posted, but some parts can be swampy or overgrown depending on the season. And unless you have a solid, high riding car, forget about going into the parking lot; its a rutted off roading adventure. Its hard to find from the street.

I'm not quite sure how to rate this trail. I'm a novice, 50ish, female hiker. It states that its for all types of hikers but I found areas of it difficult. Basically you're going downhill initially towards pond, flat area near pond, then back up hill. My husband who is an outdoorsman, just hit 50, in decent shape was with me. I'm not quite sure I believe the distance on it. It took us 2.5 hours to hike this. We followed a white trail which went from rare markings, to intermittent, to abundant. I totally enjoyed the solitude of the first half of this hike but once we started hitting the 1.5 hour mark I became increasingly concerned about how long it was taking us and how the white markers were hit or miss. At the 2 hour mark even my husband was concerned. But we made it out ok. If I understood the time commitment to this trail, I would have enjoyed it more. There are spots that go past Chapman pond that were very picturesque, streams, stone walls, very very quiet, didn't run across anyone although we saw people on the pond.