Castle Craig and West Peak Trail

Castle Craig and West Peak Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Berlin, CT that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

Wonderful hike through the woods, moderate terrain increases. Wonderful hike to the halfway house, and then turn around and head up to Castle Craig. Amazing views!!

gorgeous views especially in autumn! all kinds of trails from well maintained and moderate to risking and fun cliff trails, we loved it all. Also great for a quick trip stop, very easy to drive to the summit/castle.

One area of uphill climbing on rocks but the rest is pretty moderate, love this trail, leads to castle, spectacular views almost all the way

Quick if you stick to the trails. Amazing view

I loved the view!

Nice

Great

Hike to top and back with my wife and my son 16 years old never hike before did 5 miles round trip tired but we made it great for exercise need to bring more water next time

One of my favorites! My girlfriend and I bring our dogs here often. The trails are pretty wide and such a beautiful view near the tower. There is a reservoir that also has some stunning views and Hubbard park has many events going on like Pet Fairs and daffodil festival

great views. will hike this again.

This is an absolute gorgeous area to hike We parked at Mirror Lake and began our hike on the White Trail which brought us over to West Peak Trail. The trail to the top was pretty steep and rocky. Good hiking boots are a almost a necessity for this part of the trail. The scenes from the top are worth the climb. We moved on to the East Peak where Castle Craig is located. This was an easier climb but I would still rate it as moderate. Not as high as West Peak, but still picturesque. The day wouldn't have been complete unless we made our way over to South Mtn. This is not included in the AllTrails maps but there is a great trail map available at http://www.meridenlandtrust.com/Hubpdfbard_quad. I would consider the South Mountain an easy trail (glad we saved it for last) Overall, it was a good day of hiking and would consider redoing it in the fall. There were a few negatives worth mentioning. We found several discarded water bottles, a crushed soda can and pieces of broken glass here and there on these beautiful trails. Some of the most scenic pictures I took were ruined by graffiti that I hadn't noticed until I reviewed the pics. It's disheartening to see such a nice area disfigured with urban scrawl.

great trails

Nice little climb with great views! Started at mirror lake, then crossed the highway and followed the white blaze trail up to the castle. It was dry when I went, but I can imagine it gets pretty slippery with rain or snow.

After taking a quick water break, followed the blue blaze trail across the ridge line to the access road. This trail was more technical with both climbs and descents on unsteady surfaces. Overall, challenging and fun though with great views of the reservoir.

Finally, up the access road to the castle, then back down the white blaze and across the highway to my car.