Burr Pond

Burr Pond is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Torrington, CT that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

whitewater kayaking

beach

This is a great trail with an easy path to follow. You need to watch the tree roots and rocks as you hike along the lake, but it makes your hike more aerobic. it is moderate in traffic with a muxure of dog walkers, families and avid hikers. Very pretty views and I enjoyed the spring flowers popping up align the trail. it's certainly a favorite for me and my hiking crew.

I ran this trail at dusk tonight with the last few minutes of sun for the first part and a headlamp for the rest. The scenery was peaceful and the path is mostly flat with a few short ups and downs thrown in about 1/3 (or 2/3, if you start the other way) of the way around to keep it interesting. It was rocky and a little soggy in spots but very manageable. It will be a great trail for the kids and a nice place to squeeze in a quick run on some rocky trail when time is short.

I have taken the younger kids(Ages 6 to 10) and they really enjoyed it. They did have to stop and take a break a couple times, but for an avid hiker, it's a nice easy trail with some scenic views.

It was awesome!!! And it was frozen enough to be able to walk on the lake. :) I love it. Long walk but very pleasant.
I am looking forward to be back to enjoy now the summer view!

It was awesome!! It was cold enough to be able to walk on the lake (meaning it was frozen) :) long walk but very pleasant.
I am looking forward to be back to now appreciate the summer view!

Since I live close by Ive been a bunch of times. Short little hike nothing crazy but nice and peaceful! Good for rafting! I've even used the picnic tables to study overlooking the water during the spring time!

canoeing

very beautiful

Great easy loop with kids and dogs, easy to trail run as well. Some parts get wet in the spring and fall

My favorite place to trail run

This Burr Pond Loop is a well-maintained and well-blazed (blue rectangle) trail that loops around Burr Pond. While there is not much change in elevation during the loop, the trail changes frequently -- from somewhat rocky, root filled, and an abundance of tree stumps to pine needle covered and flat. During my hike (mid-May), there were several additional obstacles due to the amount of rain received in the area over the last several months. Some areas were muddy and several parts of the trail were covered with water -- sometimes leaving me to ponder how to cross to the other side. Even areas where there were foot bridges tended to have pools or running water that made getting to the foot bridge a challenge only to have a similar challenge on the other side. I have no doubt that once the summer rolls around those obstacles will disappear, but they are something to be aware of if you choose to take the trail in the spring or after heavy rains. The areas covered in rocks, tree roots, and tree stumps may make the trail a challenge for someone that has difficulty walking steady or cannot easily hop over them. Nevertheless, I would rate this trail as easy to moderate. Because you are looping around the pond, great views of it are never far from the trail and there are plenty of places you can stop and just take in the view.

Great place to take your dog (although technically dogs are supposed to be leashed at all times, I've never had a problem with my dog off-leash, and see most folks have their pups off-leash, too-just make sure your dog is dog/people friendly). If you're in really good physical shape, then the route will probably be easy-moderate. I am packing some extra 'luggage', AND I have severe Asthma, so for ME, parts of the route are a little more difficult. Still, I take little 'breaks', and enjoy the scenery (which overlooks the pond). One half of the route is up-hill (that's the more strenuous half).

It should be noted that the whole trail is heavily occluded w/ stumps, woody vines, rocks, and many obstacles. Attention must be paid so that one does not trip over this stuff; that's another reason that makes this trail a little more difficult. For someone really light on their feet, they can easily avoid said obstacles, and 'hop' over a lot of the stuff. For me....a LITTLE bit harder.

A great work-out; especially for someone just starting out exercising and/or hiking. I love this hike, and so does my dog! Highly recommended!

Burr Pond is a great place to go for a quick brisk hike before or after work. It's great place to bring your doggie friends.
If you're more adventurous, you can locate the John Muir trail up on the western side and hike over to Hall Meadow and Sunnybrook in Torrington.

most is easy, but some part's are moderate.if you park at the boat launch or another place you can avoid the park entrance fee.it's a nice walk..