Bluff Head on Totoket Mountain Trail

Bluff Head on Totoket Mountain Trail is a 6 mile loop trail located near Guilford, CT and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from March until November.

Great for an early morning hike to watch the sunrise, the view is one of the best for the moderate effort put forth.

Great trail! A little confusing when I came out to the road and I was grateful for the app but otherwise well marked. Wear decent shoes since the terrain varies and get ready to enjoy a variety of different scenes. So much fun!

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. We parked off of Route 77 at the main trail head on the left. The trail goes immediately upwards in a steep climb. No scrambling is required but it will get your heart racing. The path is wide and easy to follow. There were a few traprock vistas, all allowing beautiful views of Guilford, and the MeyerHuber pond below. From the basalt vistas the path dips up and down. We followed the blue blazes until we hit an intersection of white, blue, and blue/red. We took the blue/red trail to the right, which were narrower than the blue blaze trail, here you walk along some old rock walls, over some small paths of water and behind a few local properties. The trail then heads behind a development, and through a nearby farm. There looks to be another parking lot here, but we continued to follow the path to the left, and finally ended up at the main Route 77. We had to walk a about half a mile to the parking lot.

Overall I would definitely recommend this trail. We went during the week and only passed a couple hiking. We heard some people on ATV's but never saw them. The paths were clear, easy to walk on, and the vistas were beautiful looking over the pond, and the green countryside.

awesome! saw osprey on bluff and our 7 year old LOVED trail.

After 2 weeks of inactivity, my grandson and I tackled this trail and made it longer and more interesting by combining The Mattabesset and Lone Pine Trail creating a 10 mile loop that begins and ends at Route 77 aka Durham Road. The first quarter mile up the Mattabesset Trail was an incredible workout. The climb was steep and seemed neverending. I couldn't believe we were taking a breather just 500 feet into the hike!! It looked like it was going to be a long 10 miles. The trail crested after a quarter mile and the views made it worth the climb. I have also entered it on my fall hiking schedule for some terrific foliage pics. This trail was a fun trail with many elevation changes and lots of different terrain. We hiked along the Metacomet Ridge which bears warning signs about the dangers of wandering too close to the edge. (Note to hikers with dogs or children) We hiked through valleys, and among the boulders. There were nice forest paths and many small brooks to cross. Mosquitoes were plentiful so bug spray is a necessity if you are to keep your sanity. As advertrised by AllTrails, this is a moderate hiking trail but with several short "Hard" elevation changes. The trails were very well marked with kiosks scattered throughout the hike showing your current position. If you would like a good cardio workout try combining these two trails and make the 10 mile loop. You will be tired but have no regrets. It was an enjoyable hike. I'm looking forward to returning in the fall.

amazingly awesome!

Lovely trail! A fair amount of elevation changes, both up and down, for Connecticut. Some great views, lotsa nice woods. I went a few miles out, then turned around and headed back.

We just followed the blue blaze straight up and then made a loop by connecting it with the Lone Pine Trail. The immediate climb up from the parking lot is steep, but short. The view's at Bluff's Head were the highlight of the whole loop. A dusting of snow from the night before added a nice touch.

Did a full 10 mile loop from Rt 77 north west on the Mattabesset Trail (New England trail) to the start of the Lone Pine Trail. Took the Lone Pine trail east, across Rt 77 and into Madison where we picked up the Mattabesset Trail and took that back to the trailhead on Rt 77. The start of the hike was steep! We then had great views to Hartford to the north and Long Island and the Sound to the south. This long hike was fairly easy once you got to the top of the bluff and down and across the road. Going back into the woods was up hill with many side trails available in Rockland Preserve. As we got closer to the end of the hike, the terrain became more interesting and difficult with many ups and down over large rock formations. The 10.2 mile hike too 4:41. It was partly sunny and in the upper fifties with two showers and a bit of a breeze.

Nice fairly short hike. Starts with a short but steep uphill, then (if you do it right) loops around for about 4 miles total. (This site describes it as an out-and-back, but there is a loop option.) You can see the Hartford skyline (a good 35 miles away) from a rock outcropping at the top. Last time I hiked it, the first part of the trail was badly eroded, but I'm told that the trail has been re-routed since then.