Black Rock Trail

Black Rock Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Watertown, CT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail requires a fee.

Went to this trail this afternoon nice hike, but a little bit confusing to find. We went off of the loop path for about a half of a mile, but found our way back. Once on the path it was nice, some steep inclines but not all that challenging. We realized on the way back how to get on the loop trail. When you enter the park to the left of the first parking lot there is a sign with people hiking on it, you go past the sign and follow it down past a little pond. Then you will see a big bridge on the left and a smaller bridge straight in font of you, you go over the smaller bridge and there is a fork in the path, you bare to the right and go up the path and you will come to a second fork in the path ( one blue path one red) both are the loop you can pick what side you you want to start with.

This hike was good! be warned that we had to pay for parking and they only take cash. if it hadn't been for the park attendant giving us directions to the trail, I'm not sure I would have known where to go. The trail had a few steep sections, but wasn't challenging if you didn't rush it. A section of the red trail on the way out was a bit sketchy, with downed trees and overgrowth. I thought we'd taking a wrong turn! View at the top was pretty!

Had a lot of fun of this trail, though I also had someone who grew up at the is park guiding me. Otherwise it may have been difficult to navigate. But, the view at the top was great and I had fun hiking up, even if most of it is a bit steep. Not exactly the easiest hike but certainly doable.

I have to admit finding the beginning of the trail was odd. No clearly marked signs. No fee as I went before Memorial Day. Beautiful view from the top but it's straight up & you get there fast.

This listing is very wrong. This is as best a moderate hike, with a lot of easy parts. It's kind of steep but it's not too bad. Very pretty views! Kind of a short hike. I took the blue/red trail loop and I ended up walking for about a mile and a half. Nice trip with my dog.

Very disappointed with this hike. $9 to park so be prepared. Trailheads? What trailheads? Poorly marked you basically had to guess where to begin. Btw the trails start after the bridge over the water right before the lake next to bathrooms/changing rooms. We took blue trail up to lookout point. Very fast steep rocky ascent but almost sad to say reached the peak in like 10 mins flat. View is small framed by several jutting boulders, careful with young children. Quick selfie at a great view and move on no great place to sit really. Took lesser known (heard about it) white trail which is basically just a steep short cut down the side of the hill, which was great for five minutes of fun. We wandered around on some other parts of unmarked trail extensions out of boredom. Did finish out blue mattapan trail and then back to red trail (which is much easier should you have small children). Bird wildlife abundant and this was the coolest part of the hike. Super buggy in May even with bug/tick spray. Not busy at all on this holiday weekend we saw 4 people in the 11/2 wandering wood trails . Sad to say i Would not return.

Has a large climb burnt eight yr old daughter and I have made it a dozen times there's also a small park down the road that's used for fishing to park on the weekend with trails connecting to the park

From the parking area, I hiked the blue trail (Mattatuck Trail) all the way to the end of Black Rock State Park and on my way back, when the blue met the red trial, I ventured on the red trail. I have to say, it seemed like the trails are not often used which made it a very peaceful hike but everything is clearly marked. It is a relatively more difficult hike as some parts are very steep but I would not rate it as very hard. All around, good hike. I would recommend not going on a rainy day, as the rocks are very mossy and can be slippery. Another recommendation, if you are just going for the hike, don't go on the weekend. Unless your going to the state park for other reasons (camping, picnic, swimming), its not worth the $9 fee.

Was a nice place for interval training. But not so much for foliage. Red trial was clearly marked! Very impressed with that, but couldn't locate blue trial, really didn't look for it. Will come again for interval training.

was a tough trail carring my son all the way to the top.took some pictures along the way, my other 2 boy's my youngest daughter and her boy friend accompanied,wasn't bad on the other 2 boy's being handicapt.
very nice trail with good view's,tyhe view on top is really good.

Had an all around good time, very quiet and enjoyable. Black Rock Lake is awesome for fishing and if you have a Kayak or canoe you'll like the lake