Breakneck Pond Loop Trail

Breakneck Pond Loop Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stafford Springs, CT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

sea kayaking

beach

Hot but good hike.

I started on the Ridge Trail but due to the heat I cut across some four wheeler paths (where the first sign with arrows is) and went down to do the Breakneck Pond loop. Did 7.2 miles total. Definitely a great hike and will do it again when the weather cools down. Sweat, hills and bugs are a bad combination lol

I hiked at Bigelow today (4/30/16) and made an approx. 10 mile loop. I parked at the lot at the north end of Bigelow Pond across from the 2nd Kiosk. I crossed the street and entered the white blaze path right behind the kiosk. A short way in the Blue/Orange Ridge Trail started and I took this trail. I followed it all the way to the northern tip of Breakneck Pond, then hiked down the west side of Breakneck using the blue/orange blazes (park of the loop trail that looks like it's blue on the maps). Once I got to the south end of Breakneck Pond I hiked south up the dirt/wood Breakneck Hill Rd, then the Lower Breakneck Hill Rd, and then the Mountain Rd to Park Rd and then the short White blazed section back to the the starting area. The map which can easily be found online will help this description make sense.

The Ridge Trail is great. Some awesome views. The trail along Breakneck Pond is also excellent. I have to say I put on a few pounds over the winter and might be a little de-conditioned but this hike kicked my arse (in a good way). Some challenging areas with great views, very remote, and just a great hike. An added plus was that although the bugs are starting to emerge, I didn't need to use any spray at all today and gnats were not an issue. Awesome day.

Very quiet trail when done early in the day.

This trail was awesome! It was hard then easy the trail follows all around the lake and with deep woods and valleys!! Fantastic!!

Great fall hike. Did the roughly five mile trail - had some interesting elevation changes without being challenging.

I hiked the blue blazed trail up and around Breakneck Pond. GPS said 6.53 miles for the hike. It was a wonderful hike, but not for the novice hiker.Some spots are muddy while others are very rocky. some of the trail is very narrow and on a steep incline which falls right to the water.
From the entry on Rt 171 i Parked in the lot on the right with a trail Kiosk at the front of it. I think it was the first lot on the right, though it might be the second. At the back of the lot is a green gate leading onto a wide dirt path. Just a little down is a small sign on the right with an arrow saying "to Nipmuck Trail" this is the beginning of the blue blazed trail. I didn't find the trail hard to follow and only had to stop twice to look for the blazes. These two spots were at the top and bottom of the pond where there is a diverging of many trails. It should be noted that the trail down the west side of the lake is a blue/red blaze, instead of just the blue that it is marked on the map I got from the CT state park and forest web site. There are many campsites around the lake (many more than are noted on the map) and these sites make for great break spots as they all have excellent views of the water. It is 1.45 miles to the south shore of the pond, 3.63 miles around the pond, then another 1.45 back to the parking lot.
I went on a Wednesday afternoon in July, and aside from seeing a few cars entering and exiting the park, I didn't see another soul the entire time. It was a beautiful and peaceful hike. A few pearls of wisdom. 1. Bug spray is a MUST! I was wearing a 90% deet and still got a few bites. The poor dog just about got eaten alive by horseflies. 2. This park is a pay-to-play on holidays and weekends. I don't know what the fee is, but be prepared if you're going on the weekend.

My husband and I went here today for the first time. I'm surprised at how well the (blue) trail was marked, given the brutal winter we just had. It's beautiful there right now- bigelow pond is 25% open water. It's a great place for a picnic- there are fire pits and gorgeous scenery. We lucked out and didn't have to pay to park- I'm assuming that is only during the summer? We will definitely be back!

I just went the other day and got lost on the blue orange blue trail. I'm 22 but I've been going here my whole life. The trail is called ridge trail. The trail is beautiful but the trail ends in the middle of the woods but keeps going onto another trail. Don't go on this trail if there is only a couple hours of sun left. I plan on going on this trail again and keep going to bigelow. Hope this helped some what. Also the trails aren't marked very well so keep your eyes pealed

We hiked the blue/white trail partially. Starting at the trail head bared right until we got to the yellow markings which is an unpaved access road. Headed north until running into the blue/white trail on the left. Overall the trail markings were kinda sparse but the hike was challenging with good elevation changes, rocks, ruts/roots. We wore orange and yellow since it was hunting season.
No bugs in November!

It's a nice quiet park plenty of picnic areas big hikeing trails some are challenging a nice place to sit an eat an relax

This park could be renamed to mosquito state park or little Puerto Rico state park.

canoeing

had my sons birthday party and had a blast swimming canoeing and hiking

You can explore all over, take a swim, grill or have a picnic. This park is beautiful