Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salisbury, CT that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

2 minutes ago

fun. eastern part of loop is tough.

We will definitely do this trail again. Moderate terrain.

Bring your hiking boots.

Excellent and somewhat challenging loop hike. Views were beautiful. The first 1/4 mile of descent was difficult mostly due to wet leaves and some snow on the rock scrambles. Total loop took a little less than 4 hours.

Weather was perfect. Started at Undermountain trailhead on route 41. Hiked to Bear mountain via Appalachain Trail, then Round Mountain, then over to Mount Frissel. A 9.6 mile hike. Great views spectacular foilage. I absolutely loved this hike. Took just over 6 hours

Followed the paradise trail all around the back side of the mountain, it was long but nice and not crowded to go this way. We came up the back side which was tough and rocky but fun. Came down under mountain trail which was a nice way to end the trail.

loved it!!

This was a challenging but fun hike. We took our dog and she loved it! It was steep at points though, not recommended if you're not a confident hiker.

Great views. Challenging terrain. The tower is awesome.

Great hike again and did it in four hours with a bad knee! Great views!

I went up on a beautiful spring day with friends and it's quite a ride from anywhere. However, the trail was well marked and well worn. It is very beautiful in general and the summit had an interesting "tower" on which to gaze upon CT, NY, and MA. A definite recommendation!

I hiked this trail 7/26/2016. It's a great trail, my second time hiking it. However, I LOST my GPS unit in the parking lot. I left it on the roof of my car and drove off. Doh!!! If you find it contact me a thectexplorer [at] gmail [dot] com

This is a great trail takes you to the highest peak in CT. I think it is closer to a 6.5-mile loop. beautiful views from the top. It's very special in the fall. Also, keep an eye out for wild blueberries along the trail.

Hiked the trail this morning with my 10 yo. We had a great hike! We took Paradise up and Undermountain down and I wouldn't want to go in the opposite direction. We did it in about 4 hours, including stopping for lunch at the top.
We did make a little mistake that got us a bit off course for a few minutes. There are, apparently, two options to turn off onto the Paradise trail. The first goes to the campsite and was a fine hike. When we got to the campsite, we found the trail going up a steep, rocky slope. When we got to the "top", we weren't sure which way to go, so we went left. We only went about a tenth of a mile or so before we realized our mistake and turned around. On our way down the mountain, we realized that there was a second turn onto the actual trail about 50 feet further on the Undermountain Trail that would have taken us in a more direct route.

We took Undermountain up & paradise down. It was a nice trek! We lost paradise somewhere on the back end because we ended up somehow parallel to it on the descent. Overall it was 7.5 miles on the trail we did take, but it was really easy terrain (save for the first .2 miles of descent). I'd definitely swap the trails for ease of climb - coming down that way was more difficult than going up would have been!

Definitely Family friendly if you are careful on that section (I'd recommend older kids or kids having some experience on hikes). We brought our 6 year old and managed to make it in 4.5 hours overall, it's definitely a gradual and scenic hike! Plus the crossing of the AT meant we had a lot of company, it's definitely well trafficked, but everyone was incredibly nice & very polite!

Beautiful and strenuous trek up via Paradise and went down Under Mountain trail.

Started at the Undermountain Trail, hiked up the south side, down the northside. I recommend going up south, down north. Coming up north is more difficult. We continued on the AT to Sage's Ravine, came down the ravine (unblazed - do not recommend - very dangerous), walked back on Rte 41 to the parking lot. 8.2 miles total. The only negative was that we encountered three different groups with dogs off leash, and did not bring leashes. We did not get to enjoy the summit because two groups had their dogs off leash, roaming around, and we had to keep ours away from theirs. They were angry with us when we asked them to leash their dogs. (It is the law.) Another group had four dogs off leash, no leashes with them. We were coming down the precarious part of the north side and they had a difficult time containing their dogs so we could pass with ours. They seemed very off put when we asked if they could leash their dogs. Many people think just because their dogs are friendly that its ok to keep them off leash. This is not true. Our dog is not good with other dogs, but is always on a leash and under our control. When other dogs approach off leash, it puts us and her in a bad situation. Please, people, leash your dogs, or at the very least, carry a leash to put them on when needed! Other than the dog issue, this was a fabulous hike!