Burro Trail to Windy Peak

Burro Trail to Windy Peak is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Golden, CO that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cool trail, great view from the top of windy peak. Went in early December, only 4 groups of hikers on the trail, not crowded at all: starts in open meadows and ascends in pine alpine.

This is a great hike, definitely challenging. Beautiful area. Barely saw anyone when we did this hike July 24. Will do this hike again!

definitely a bit of a challenge going up. good workout, nice views.

Awesome vertical gain, beautiful views and a nice challenging trail!

I wore the wrong shoes for this one, so I was hurting during and after. There were great views at the top and there were not a lot of people along the trail so it was quite peaceful.

Great hike with amazing scenery. I started at about 8:30 on a Sunday, saw nobody else until I got back to the parking area and had Windy Peak all to myself. Agree with the moderate to difficult rating. Added a side trip on the Mountain Lion trail to ensure I hit 2000 ft elevation gain.

Beautiful, moderate to difficult hike. I went up the Forgotten Valley side with a detour up to the City Lights Ridge trail. No one on the city lights trail but it was challenging and totally worth the extra effort. Shortly after that detour you arrive at an old farm with a picturesque fishing pond. This way to Windy Peak seems to be a slightly more gradual uphill.

This is a fairly strenuous trail, but you are rewarded with beautiful views on the back ridge. There's a mix of exposure and shade, as well as elevation and easy walking. Overall, a great trail to push yourself.

Great views from the forgotten Vally side climb was not bad at all excellent summit!

This is my favorite trail! Pretty difficult getting up, but there are great views the whole way. Windy Peak was definitely worth it! We were the only ones up there and we ate lunch and befriended some chipmunks. Very well marked. Best trail!

beautiful views. lots of shade. would be great on a hot day. we went on a Saturday morning in early August and hardly saw anyone until after noon. it's steep with loose rock in places but will definitely do again since we didn't get all the way to windy peak. the weather became a little threatening so we skipped that part this time.

I started at 7:30 and had the trail to myself until the very end. Beautiful trails and views!

We went early this morning. We started at about 7:30 AM on a Wednesday and only saw one other group of hikers, so, that was awesome.
As others said, it's not 6 miles. We did the burro trail to windy peak and did the loop back down. It showed up as closer to 8 miles for us. It took about 4 hours, as we stopped and ate lunch at the top and had a relaxed pace. It is very well marked with maps throughout the trail. It was a beautiful hike with wildflowers and great views.

Make sure you pay for parking as well, I wasn't paying attention and got a ticket.

Nice, forgiving trail. Loads of wildflowers and beautiful views at the summit of Windy Peak. It's rated as 'difficult' on the GGCSP site but I would agree that it is 'moderate'.

Great streams early on

Fantastic hike up while everything is still green