Wigwam Trail 609

Wigwam Trail 609 is a 21.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Deckers, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bailey: From Bailey drive south on Forest Developed Road 543 a.k.a. Park County Road 68. At the Wellington Lake entrance 543 bears left (east) toward Buffalo Creek - take the right fork instead and continue south across the Wellington Lake Dam. (This southbound road is now Forest Road 560.) Continue 6 more miles to a sign indicating the turnoff to Wigwam Trail. Total distance from Bailey to this turnoff is slightly over 18 miles. At the turnoff turn right (west) and drive 1.3 miles to the parking lots.

Even with snow on the trail, it was beautiful and easy to follow. I'll definitely be back!

loved this trail!
gunshots from hunters the first mile was unnerving - never experienced guns randomly going off all around me like that. was very deep into the forest through the haymen burn area, we'll maintained one lane dirt road. remember there being a few turns to get there, be sure you have a map or written directions your gpm probably won't work. worth the drive, i try to do it yearly.

I hiked this trail on July 9, 2016. The trail was easy to follow and surprisingly dry, with only a few wet or muddy spots. I changed into sandals to cross the stream, rather than walk over the log bridge. Starting at the Lost Creek Campground and stopping at the beaver ponds was 13 miles (round trip). Remember your bug spray!

Not easy to tell when this trail stops and Lost Creek trail begins, but it's closer to 12 miles ONE WAY. I hiked this yesterday and spent 10 hours total. I hiked out 10 miles until I crossed a larger section of the creek at the end of the large meadows then turned around and hiked back. If you're day-hiking this trail it's pretty easy. If you plan to camp and carry in a 50+ lbs backpack it's fairly technical in some areas and can cause balance challenges. The meadowlands were even better than the beaver ponds as they were quite expansive with nice cool winds. You'll reach the meadowlands after crossing the continental divide - which by itself is a pretty damn good workout. Beautiful trail, lots of scenery and various sections of hiking, but start early. I got to the parking area around 9:30am on a Saturday and had to park a mile back and hike to the trailhead. I've heard if you get to the lot by 8am you'd be fine.

A beautiful trail. We hiked just past the beaver ponds where it was serene and quiet after following the fast flowing creek. Some crossings were tricky, especially for our two dogs. A terrifying but amazing experience when a moose came up the trail behind us at full speed. Lucky we heard a twig snap and turned around in time to jump off the trail. Thankful he kept on running!

We here for a weekend backpacking trip. The trail follows the Wigwam Creek up and involves many different river crossings. These river crossings are mostly just logs over the creek and some got a bit sketchy. The creek was especially high during this time and so I may have washed out some of the log crossings. After the climb through the canyonish area, you reach the Wigwam Park and this area was really nice. It has tons of beaver ponds all along it. We hiked through this and then decided to camp at about 10,000 feet. During the last part of the hike there was snow scattered along the trail, but nothing crazy or hard to pass. The area where we camped wasn't too far from the beaver ponds and in a relaxing area. Overall, this was a very relaxing area and I liked that it wasn't all that crowded.

Great hike, following a creek the whole way. Most of the elevation gain is between miles two and three. There is a pond just before the junction with the Goose Creek Trail, and it is stocked with small trout.

Nice hike through wooded area (great for warmer days) that follows along a creek which provides a cool breeze and pleasant sound. Lots of creek crossings. Pretty views and nice drive through burn area.

Very nice trail. I planed a hike to Lost Park camp ground to camp and return the following day. I backtracked to the beaver ponds after learning that Lost Park was very crowded. It was well worth it. Plenty of good camp spots at a beautiful location. The recent rains have made the area incredibility green and lush with many examples of flora that may not normally be seen this time of year. The trail is in pretty good shape with a few stream crossings that could be tricky to some.

Wigwam trip report 6/15/14

I was looking for an easy backing packing trip for my family so we could do our first Summer backpacking trip together.
Many years ago I had hiked the Goose Creek trail in the Lost Creek Wilderness area -a 20 something mile hike. I knew I could not take my family on a 20 mile, 3 day death march, but I did like the area ( Lost Creek Wilderness area) and did some research on some other trails there. There was not much good info on trails, but rather brief descriptions. So I when looking for trip reports on Lost Creek Wilderness area. I found what I thought to be an easy, less crowded trail. That was supposed to be a 3 mile hike in and was supposed to be an almost flat hike or very gradual climb with quite a few small river crossings that weren’t the best for 3 and 5 year old kids. But my kids were older than 3 and 5; they are 10 and 11 so I figured it should be fine. All of which were not accurate the hike was 4.5 miles, it was nowhere near flat, and some of the river crossing where very difficult for our family to cross.
On the way up to the trailhead we ended up taking a wrong turn. We finally got to the trailhead and got going at 11:30. The parking lot was full and the road next to the parking lot was almost full too. So much for , less crowded trail. The first water crossing was very nicely done and easy to cross. It was on the outside of the wilderness boundary. The second water crossing was already more than my family or I could handle. I should explain our whole family, me included, is not gifted in balancing on small, thin logs above rushing water with certain impalement if you fall. We somehow managed to get across this one. But it gets worse. The third water crossing is a small thin log above rushing water with certain impalement if we fall. This surely was not in the brochure! There was one other way across-just walk through the shin deep water. The kids and the wife got their sandals on and walked across. My boots where already full of water from the last water crossing so I didn’t even bother putting on my sandals.
At this point, the trail moves away from the small river, winding its way through the forest. As we hiked along we noticed there were a lot more switchbacks. The mapping program I have did not show any switchbacks. As well as if you look at the trail on the map and the route we took it didn’t follow the route on the map all that much. We crossed seven more streams along the way, one of which was very annoying. Most of them were small streams you could walk over on two nice logs or walk through the water without the water getting into your boots, but not that very annoying one. It had two logs running across the small river and one huge log running perpendicular overhead. You could try and walk on top of the big log or try and squeeze under it. What do you think we did? We went under it, of course. I did manage to do a better job not getting water in my boots on that one on the way down by doing the crab walk under the big log. Not very long after that stream crossing it did get much steeper and rockier. This is the only part of the trail that has one spot that you can go the wrong way by going left and crossing the stream. This trail just kind of vanishes into the forest floor after a few hundred feet. After backtracking onto the regular trail there is a bit more of an uphill hike but soon after that the trail starts to flatten out, and opens to a meadow. This is the beginning of Wigwam Park. We were told that most of the camping spots had already been taken, except the ones on the other side of the river, so we didn’t know what to expect. Upon arriving at Wigwam Park we spotted a nice camp site that would work for our family. We wanted to see if there was anything better. We passed the junction to Goose Creek Trail and saw a trail leading towards the other side of the river. We followed it for a short distance before it came to a beaver dam / river crossing where there was a very narrow log about 4 inches wide stretched across the outside edge of the beaver dam. There was no way any of us were going to get across that so we continued on up the Wigwam trail a bit farther not seeing too much except already taken campsites. We decided to head back to the first campsite we saw and camp there. It fit our two tents with room to spare for more. The only bad thing about that camp site was the mosquitoes, they were awful. The weather was very nice that first day and it never rained at all that day. That night it got down to 34 degrees. I was a bit surprised about how low the temperature got that night, but we all stayed warm.

A little too early for this trail in mid-March 2013. We slogged through quite a bit of snow and had to turn around early. Will definitely go back in the summer. The drive there can also be a but of a challenge thus time of year unless you gave 4WD.