Wigwam Trail 609

Wigwam Trail 609 is a 21.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Deckers, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Bailey: From Bailey drive south on Forest Developed Road 543 a.k.a. Park County Road 68. At the Wellington Lake entrance 543 bears left (east) toward Buffalo Creek - take the right fork instead and continue south across the Wellington Lake Dam. (This southbound road is now Forest Road 560.) Continue 6 more miles to a sign indicating the turnoff to Wigwam Trail. Total distance from Bailey to this turnoff is slightly over 18 miles. At the turnoff turn right (west) and drive 1.3 miles to the parking lots.

loved this trail!
gunshots from hunters the first mile was unnerving - never experienced guns randomly going off all around me like that. was very deep into the forest through the haymen burn area, we'll maintained one lane dirt road. remember there being a few turns to get there, be sure you have a map or written directions your gpm probably won't work. worth the drive, i try to do it yearly.

I hiked this trail on July 9, 2016. The trail was easy to follow and surprisingly dry, with only a few wet or muddy spots. I changed into sandals to cross the stream, rather than walk over the log bridge. Starting at the Lost Creek Campground and stopping at the beaver ponds was 13 miles (round trip). Remember your bug spray!

Not easy to tell when this trail stops and Lost Creek trail begins, but it's closer to 12 miles ONE WAY. I hiked this yesterday and spent 10 hours total. I hiked out 10 miles until I crossed a larger section of the creek at the end of the large meadows then turned around and hiked back. If you're day-hiking this trail it's pretty easy. If you plan to camp and carry in a 50+ lbs backpack it's fairly technical in some areas and can cause balance challenges. The meadowlands were even better than the beaver ponds as they were quite expansive with nice cool winds. You'll reach the meadowlands after crossing the continental divide - which by itself is a pretty damn good workout. Beautiful trail, lots of scenery and various sections of hiking, but start early. I got to the parking area around 9:30am on a Saturday and had to park a mile back and hike to the trailhead. I've heard if you get to the lot by 8am you'd be fine.

A beautiful trail. We hiked just past the beaver ponds where it was serene and quiet after following the fast flowing creek. Some crossings were tricky, especially for our two dogs. A terrifying but amazing experience when a moose came up the trail behind us at full speed. Lucky we heard a twig snap and turned around in time to jump off the trail. Thankful he kept on running!

We here for a weekend backpacking trip. The trail follows the Wigwam Creek up and involves many different river crossings. These river crossings are mostly just logs over the creek and some got a bit sketchy. The creek was especially high during this time and so I may have washed out some of the log crossings. After the climb through the canyonish area, you reach the Wigwam Park and this area was really nice. It has tons of beaver ponds all along it. We hiked through this and then decided to camp at about 10,000 feet. During the last part of the hike there was snow scattered along the trail, but nothing crazy or hard to pass. The area where we camped wasn't too far from the beaver ponds and in a relaxing area. Overall, this was a very relaxing area and I liked that it wasn't all that crowded.

Great hike, following a creek the whole way. Most of the elevation gain is between miles two and three. There is a pond just before the junction with the Goose Creek Trail, and it is stocked with small trout.

Nice hike through wooded area (great for warmer days) that follows along a creek which provides a cool breeze and pleasant sound. Lots of creek crossings. Pretty views and nice drive through burn area.

Very nice trail. I planed a hike to Lost Park camp ground to camp and return the following day. I backtracked to the beaver ponds after learning that Lost Park was very crowded. It was well worth it. Plenty of good camp spots at a beautiful location. The recent rains have made the area incredibility green and lush with many examples of flora that may not normally be seen this time of year. The trail is in pretty good shape with a few stream crossings that could be tricky to some.

A little too early for this trail in mid-March 2013. We slogged through quite a bit of snow and had to turn around early. Will definitely go back in the summer. The drive there can also be a but of a challenge thus time of year unless you gave 4WD.

We just hiked this with our kids (3 & 5yo) up to Wigwam Park. The park is beautiful and peaceful with a really nice beaver dam in the middle. There were about 4 groups of backpackers setting up for the night in the area. This trail has 8 stream crossings most are fairly easy but a couple of them are falling apart, which were a bit difficult with the kids. The trail has plenty of aspen trees and we plan on returning in the fall as the colors should be excellent. We really enjoyed the scenery along the hike and Wigwam Park was definitely worth the visit.