West Spanish Peak Trail

West Spanish Peak Trail is a 7.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Aguilar, CO that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from May until October.

Directions from La Veta: Travel 20 miles south of La Veta on Highway 12. Turn east on Forest Road 46 and take it 6 miles to the summit of Cordova Pass. There is a trailhead sign here.

Great hike! While it is rated moderate, keep in mind that the first half is an easy hike through the forest and the second half is a significantly more difficult ascension up the mountain. The view at the end is incredible though and well worth it. I strongly recommend this hike in the early fall when the aspen are changing colors.

I would call this trail moderate to hard. The trail to tree line is pretty easy. Tree line the path becomes harder to find and if your afraid of heights that trail is not for you. I made it 12012 and my nerves and adrenaline got the best of me. So much for facing my fears but the rest of my group summit the mountain. Amazing views!

October 31st, 2015 climb. Left Trinidad at 6a. Met my uncle from Pueblo in La Veta at 7a. Didn't get to trail head until 7:45a; snow on the roads. There was 1 inch of snow the day before. Reached summit at 11a. Quite a bit of snow at the summit. Ate lunch behind some rocks to get cover from the wind. The trail was snow covered but we had sunshine and blue skies: beautiful. I'm an avid climber, but it was my uncle's first summit. Back to the car by about 1:30p.