West Branch Trail

West Branch Trail is a 5.2 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Red Feather Lakes, CO. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

5.2 miles 1672 feet Point to Point

Directions from Fort Collins: Travel west on Highway 14, about 66 miles then travel north on County Road 103 approximately 6 miles to the trailhead.

Loved it! We branched off to the Rawah Trail and then then Twin Crater Lakes. We went at the end of June and there was still a lot of snow up by Crater lakes. On West Branch Trail you have to cross the river. I really wish I would have had my Tevas!!

I think this trail and the loop was one of the best trails I've ever hiked. water proof shoes are a must! beautiful scenery, saw a few deer, and breath taking views at the top. do it!

I backpacked a ~20 mile loop that connects the West Branch Trail to the Rawah Trailhead. Highly recommended for the route's excellent scenery, 10+ lakes along the trail, and a good summit about halfway through. This hike can be looped in either direction, and completed in 1-2 nights, or as a long day hike. Begin at the Tunnel Campground at Roosevelt National Forrest just outside of Fort Collins down Poudre Canyon.

I attached a link to the trail route.

Most of the trail is in a valley. Did see some wildlife and few campers. I tried fly fishing some of the alpine lakes at the top, but to no avail. Would like to get back to try some of the connecting trails.