Waterton Canyon Trail

Waterton Canyon Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Littleton, Colorado that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Canal to Dam and then single track.

Awesome place to see Bighorn Sheep.

This is a flat, easy, wide trail that follows a river. We watched a massive herd of big horn sheep walk down into the canyon to drink from the river right in front of us! We started at about 9 am and saw very few people on the trail on our way out. When we turned around to head back about two hours later we were greeted by quite a few people beginning their hike. All in all the road is wide so the high traffic wasn't a problem, and the wildlife watching was great. It's not strenuous at all. Good hike for families with young children or multiple generations.

Plan to be done before lunch time to avoid crowds on a weekend. I finished around 12pm and suddenly there were a ton of people with no trail etiquette. Lots of strollers and people walking 5 people across. I was a little uneasy with the cars on the trail. Only one cyclist called out to pass. I tried running on both sides of the road and just didn't feel safe. It could have just been a weird day for the trail. It's been unseasonably warm and people may have gotten excited. I don't plan to do this trail often if it's always like this. I didn't see any wildlife either!

Great time with the family! We have two kids ages 9 and almost 3 and they had a great time. We did some fishing, biking and saw a bunch of bighorn sheep. A great day and I will definitely be back! As others have posted: it is very sunny and not a lot of shade so do wear sunscreen and bring lots of water.

Saw a lot of mountain goats. I tried this trail in June and since there was no tree covered the trail, I was in the strong sun for 6 hours, got a great tan even I put the sunscreen for 4 times. Get ready for that if you're going in the summer.

This was a very nice Saturday afternoon hike. Moderately trafficked trail, till you get further into the canyon. Great views of wildlife and nature.

My favorite routine is to ride to the end of the road n hike up to the Colorado Trail for a few miles n enjoy a easy downhill ride to the piking lot. Easy ride n moderate hike.

Its actually a relaxing walk once you get some separation from the hoards of families and bikers. The wildlife is abundant and the river is peaceful - and the views get better tube further in you go. For more of a challenge, link up with Roxborough or continue down the Colorado Trail a bit.

Arrived on 9/6/2016 to find this trail closed! Check before you go. I will rate once I am able to use it.

I accidentally ran into the Canyon early in the morning, with moon over the mountains n saw a herd of long horn sheep. Went back on the bike n covered the whole trail, stunning. It gets busy on the front end of the trail on weekends.