Waterton Canyon Trail

Waterton Canyon Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Littleton, CO that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

Canal to Dam and then single track.

This is a flat, easy, wide trail that follows a river. We watched a massive herd of big horn sheep walk down into the canyon to drink from the river right in front of us! We started at about 9 am and saw very few people on the trail on our way out. When we turned around to head back about two hours later we were greeted by quite a few people beginning their hike. All in all the road is wide so the high traffic wasn't a problem, and the wildlife watching was great. It's not strenuous at all. Good hike for families with young children or multiple generations.

Plan to be done before lunch time to avoid crowds on a weekend. I finished around 12pm and suddenly there were a ton of people with no trail etiquette. Lots of strollers and people walking 5 people across. I was a little uneasy with the cars on the trail. Only one cyclist called out to pass. I tried running on both sides of the road and just didn't feel safe. It could have just been a weird day for the trail. It's been unseasonably warm and people may have gotten excited. I don't plan to do this trail often if it's always like this. I didn't see any wildlife either!

Great time with the family! We have two kids ages 9 and almost 3 and they had a great time. We did some fishing, biking and saw a bunch of bighorn sheep. A great day and I will definitely be back! As others have posted: it is very sunny and not a lot of shade so do wear sunscreen and bring lots of water.

Saw a lot of mountain goats. I tried this trail in June and since there was no tree covered the trail, I was in the strong sun for 6 hours, got a great tan even I put the sunscreen for 4 times. Get ready for that if you're going in the summer.

This was a very nice Saturday afternoon hike. Moderately trafficked trail, till you get further into the canyon. Great views of wildlife and nature.

My favorite routine is to ride to the end of the road n hike up to the Colorado Trail for a few miles n enjoy a easy downhill ride to the piking lot. Easy ride n moderate hike.

Its actually a relaxing walk once you get some separation from the hoards of families and bikers. The wildlife is abundant and the river is peaceful - and the views get better tube further in you go. For more of a challenge, link up with Roxborough or continue down the Colorado Trail a bit.

Arrived on 9/6/2016 to find this trail closed! Check before you go. I will rate once I am able to use it.

I accidentally ran into the Canyon early in the morning, with moon over the mountains n saw a herd of long horn sheep. Went back on the bike n covered the whole trail, stunning. It gets busy on the front end of the trail on weekends.

This is an easy walk or bike path. Dirt road for water works vehicles. Several wildlife sightings including big horn sheep and babies, deer, ducks & birds. Picnic tables, bathrooms & emergency call boxes. You can link to moderate trails from the end like Carpenter's Peak and others. Close to Denver for a half day trail.

Like many others have said, its just walking down a flat dirt road, but don't let that stop you from going. The scenery is awesome and the wildlife is like no other place I've been in CO. It's everywhere, you can pretty much count on seeing Big Horn sheep which are usually hard to find.

I almost always see big horned sheep and/or mule deer here.

Stunning! Enjoy being out on the water but also running/biking

Stunning area! Went out to do a 4-5 mile run and ran the entire thing. After 12.5 miles I still felt like I like have ran another 10. This was the most I'd ever run for a casual run and I've never enjoyed a run so much. So much to see and so beautiful!

Was told this was a great place to see wildlife, and was not disappointed. Did the full 12 miles and saw bighorn sheep, deer, and a snake! More of an easy walk than a hike, but nice scenery and wildlife, and the trail gets a lot less busy a few miles in.

A great place for a nice walk. I agree that is not really a hike; you're just walking down a wide dirt road. We went around 3PM on a Sunday and it was moderately crowded. Most bikers do not follow the rules to stay to the right despite the signs, so bear that in mind when you're walking. We enjoyed it, even though we only got 2.5 miles in of the 12 miles available; out-and-back makes this 5 miles round trip. Next time, we would like to bring our bikes and try to bike a more significant portion.

The hike was boring for kids. I wouldn't consider this a hike since your basically on a dirt road.

fly fishing

Cool area to walk, especially being so close to the hustle and bustle. Bighorn Sheep are almost always seen, and the fishing can be good. Well maintained because it is a service road used by Denver Water.