Venable-Comanche Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westcliffe, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
dogs on leash
amazing trail with waterfalls, lakes, summit views and aspen groves
easy to reach with a sedan to the trail head
its actually closer to 14 miles round trip
things i wish i knew ahead of time:
1) go late summer, we went end of june and there was still a lot of snow melt, the trails were very wet and muddy towards the top and the snow obscured a lot of trail which made for interesting guess work
2) bring bug spray, the comanche side is mosquito filled, you will get eaten alive
3) go up venable and down comanche (comanche is much steeper)
4) towards the top of venable lake the trail splits, right brings you to the lake and left brings you to phantom terrace to complete the loop. EASY TO MISS. dont miss it, this will make your life hard because phantom terrace is named because the trail is hard to find and doesnt look like it exists.
5) once over the first saddle take the trail veering left along the ridge to find comanche lake
it was beautiful and one of my favorite hikes ever
Great track lots of elevation gain. Two Great Lakes, water falls, ridge pass, fun and challenging day hike!