Vasquez Peak

Vasquez Peak is a 7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and downhill skiing and is accessible year-round.

Have no illusion - this hike is hard, at least for a 50-year-old guy hiking to recover from a heart attack. I hike 2 or 3 times a week and would now say I am in slightly better than average condition.

The trail isn't a trail, per se. It is an old mining road rising above the Henderson molybdenum mine. The Henderson mine is mostly underground; however, the mine has generated many byproducts that are visible on the surface. Overall, not a pretty site.

The first 2 miles of the hike are steep, and rocky. Honestly, I only went up 2 miles as it began to sleet and "gropple." Had the weather been ideal, however, I don't know if I would have made the next, even steeper assent if it continued on the road. I found the hiking on this road to take away from what little beauty was available.

Despite my grousing about trail conditions, there were moments of great beauty, mostly because the leaves were in full autumn fall colors. The colors weren't worth the trip, though.

my husband and I did this in August 2016. It's a wonderful Loop hike which starts down in the forest but you enjoy a wonderful length of hiking up on the Continental Divide and Alpine during period we did the 3 some including Vasquez. Bike is really nice out we only have 7 people and that was only after we got back onto the trail after about 5 hours of being all by ourselves. The only downside is that noise from the Henderson mine air ventilation we think it is. Also another added bonus is closest to the metro area.

My son and i hiked a loop starting up the Henderson Spur with it's many switchbacks. Then taking a left on to the Mt. Nystrom Trail, not so much climbing here. We followed it for a couple of miles to the base of Vasquez Peak. From there it was a steady climb off trail to the summit taking about 30 minutes. It was a beautiful day but the wind was howling on top so we didn't stay long. On the way down we followed the ridge to the SE, climbing Peak 12900, then dropping down to the south and back to the trail. It's a nice hike and the views are well worth the effort.

High elevation out and back hike starting at Berthoud Pass. Strenuous in spots with steep sections on snow and ice. Rugged, rocky, high alpine conditions. A very stormy day in October heralding a very stormy winter season in the mountains.

Some snow sliders encountered near Berthoud Pass but other than that no one further out there.

Did not actually make it to Vasquez Peak.