Vallecito Creek Trail

Vallecito Creek Trail is a 11.8 mile out and back trail located near Bayfield, CO and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October.

My sister and I did a day hike on the Vallecito trail back in mid-may. It's a beautiful trail, and definitely one of the more trafficked trails in the area. Unfortunately, about 4 miles in, there was still a lot of snow blocking the trails, so we had to turn back earlier than anticipated. Would love to do this trail in the summertime.

Beautiful views

A great trail with lots of sight views

Beautiful trail starts high above the creek (700'). then descends to the creek and onto a waterfall with a bridge across the creek.

I love this trail. However, I have not been able to find a nice map of all the trails in the area. I would suggest this: http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/sanjuan/maps-pubs

FYI, alltrails does not let you view any maps for free. You pay $30 a year, and make your own maps. Might as well buy the maps from the forest service.

One of my favorites for a casual day hike in and out. Interesting terrain along a beautiful river.

great trail, but some of the family couldn't keep up so we had to turn back a mile into it, gonna try it again soon, great views

Have only completed the first few miles, beautiful hike

Although we only completed part of the trail, this is an incomparably beautiful hike. This is my most recommended trail in the north Vallecito Reservoir area because of its magnificent mountains and terrain changes.

One of our favorite hikes in the summer.

Hiked this trail a couple of times with my oldest son this summer and enjoyed the hike both times. First time was over the July 4th weekend. We hiked in about 12 miles and camped between the Johnson Creek turnoff and Roelle Creek. The weather was great with just a couple of minor rainstorms over the 3 day outing. Awesome scenery, strawberries were on, and the temperature was at least 20 degrees cooler than home. Great hike for the more adventurous. Went again the 1st weekend of August for a quick overnight campout out with my oldest son's Scout Troop. Only hiked in about 5 miles this time, just past the 2nd bridge, and set up camp. A little cooler at night and in the early morning but still just as much fun; plus the raspberries were on this time. Great hike for beginners or a quick getaway with lots of camping spots after the first bridge if you keep your eyes open.

I've done this trail a couple of times. Good condition and not technical. Really pretty. Steep climbing initially, so lowlanders, prepare yourselves. A little hard to find because you have to walk through or around the campground to get to the trailhead

This was the first trail of a 40 mile trip. We went all the way up Vallecito to Rock Creek Trail at the base of Guardian Mountain.
The trail over these 14 miles is all gradual uphill. The first couple of miles is actually more up hill than I anticipated, I would rate it moderate to slightly aggressive. On the second day was saw a bull moose on the trail only 20 yards in front of us.
The bridge is out at the 7 mile mark. The water can be knee deep to waist deep. I would recommend poles. There are several nice camp sites at Johnson Creek intersection along with Rock Creek intersection. We probably saw 12-15 people the first day. After Johnson Creek, most people we saw were actually coming south down the trail.
Lots of horse droppings. Not fun. The horses also make for a very muddy trail in places. Expect to get dirty and expect flies where the horses are.
Rained 3 of 4 evenings. Had pea sized hail the third night. No big deal if you have a camp set up.

This trail is also wonderful for snowshoeing in winter. Someone usually breaks a trail to the first bridge. Amazing winter scenery, and you won't see a soul.

I love this trail. It takes you through forested hillsides, along cliff walls and down to the Vallecito creek. The creek is stunning and although this hike is the beginning of a backpack up to the Weminuche, day hiking it is wonderful too

seems up hill both ways. was awesome. bridge seven miles in is washed out. have to forge river. was waist deep in july 2011. didn't go the whole distance turned at Johnson creek and headed west up to columbine pass. still some snow on top but melting fast. plenty of water along way. bring water shoes for countless creek crossings. monsoon storms in afternoon so hike early and set up camp early.

A lovely young lady and myself, Ron Rigell, hiked this trail back in March, 2011. I have hiked this trail many times, but never in so much snow. My companion, Liz, a native Kenyan, had never been to Colorado or seen these "foothills" of the Rockies. So we made this trip in one day....driving from Ouray that mornng over the " San Juan Skyway", a beautiful drive.....Snow everywhere!!
We could not even get to the bridge over the "rushing" mountain creek, but I know we made it half way. Liz had a hard time with the altitude, but the shear beauty all around interpretted what I had always told her about "one of my favorite, special places on this earth that I wanted the woman I love to see".
We carved our name on an Aspen(I know not good)tree on the trail and I will see it again when I am back in October.
Liz and I are no longer together, for personal reasons. But everytime I hike this trail my memory of her and I there will never depart.......for I was the "white Hunter"...and she will always be my young African Princess....walking with me up that Rocky Mountain trail.
Peace to you my love,