Timberline Lake Trail

Timberline Lake Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, CO that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

No fall color, but it has a nice lake!

If you are looking to fish the timberline lake just know it is flies only, catch and release. Beautiful lake.

We've hiked this trail twice - August 2015 and Sept 2016. The August hike was green and filled with wildflowers, and Timberline Lake itself is quite scenic. We passed through a few marshy spots in addition to creek crossings. This September felt like such a different hike -- too late for wildflowers but pretty fall-colored ground cover. The trees are mostly evergreen, so no Aspen yellow but still pretty. Our group rated the trail easy to moderate, depending on fitness level.

Definitely worth the climb. Can be a little tougher for those not accustomed to hiking. But the end result is worth it!

Amazing views, easy to get to, a nice little walk through the woods

Nice trail, pretty lake. Good hike for families. The lake is a perfect place for a family picnic.

The trail seemed long going thru the forest. At least the hike wasn't steep. The lake was big and don't know why it was only catch and release fly fishing.

Great hike, definitely moderate at times. Two water crossings, but not difficult. I hiked in the afternoon, and didn't see any animals. Early morning and evenings are best for that. Mosquitos are an issue in certain areas.

When you arrive at the parking area there are no clear signs as to where the trail starts (there are several trail heads here. When facing the information board the trail is to the left (west), when you cross the bridge stay to the right there is a trailhead marker ahead.

This is a nice little hike, it's mostly easy with one steep incline that is pretty short. The trail around the northern part of the lake got lost on me, I would be on the trail and then all of a sudden there was little to no trail. I didn't really like not having an obvious trail to get all the way around the lake with. The trial to the lake is great. I saw a few people out there, but not really not that many.

Such a great hike-- make it a backpacking trip. The camping at the lake is phenomenal! No snow on the hike, but be prepared for water.

There's a pretty mountain lake at the end of the hike. Two stream crossings. One is pretty big and requires removing boots. The water was up to my knees. 2 years ago, we had to hold our packs over our heads.

Great Hike, very beautiful, hardly any people on the trail. We got lost because the last 1/2 mile is snowed almost knee deep in some place, also had to cross 2 creeks knee high. Made it to the lake and majority is still frozen, couldn't find any place to camp near the lake due to the snow and wetness of the ground. But ended up camping 1/2mile from our car since it was warmer and dryer, still a little chilly. It really is a great hike, not too bad, great views and I've been here in the summer when everything is thawed and it's breathtaking. Would recommend it! Check out the map in this app to see what creeks you need to cross so bring an extra dry clothes.

We went up on Memorial Day and competed with snow banks that were hip height in some spots, but bare dirt in others. The snow took this trail from moderate to hard. Hairy stream crossings, but all were doable with the right shoes (and extra socks packed). Encountered only a few people on the hike. Would love to see this place when its completely thawed!

I thought this trail was great. Challenging enough I felt like I accomplish something but easy enough that it didn't take all day. I was worried about the flies and mosquitoes from other reviews but by the end of August they were mostly gone.

We hiked this trail on July 25th and loved it! Not many people on the trail, wildflowers were abundant, yet so were the flies, which we had some good laughs about. It took us about 1.5 hours up and 1 hour back. The last portion is a little steep but the views once you reach the lake are beautiful and well worth it!

It was a pretty hike. I gave it 3 stars because of all the flies and Mosquitos. I felt like they were swarming around my head. Took three kids. They lived it. Crossing creeks. Getting dirty. Getting wet. The last part of the hike to the lake is the steepest. Took us an hour to get down and about an hour and a half to get up. Lake is beautiful. Went in late July on a Saturday. Hardly anyone there.

Beautiful hike located at the west end of Turquoise lake. Fairly easy until about the last 1/2 mile, which climbs quite steeply to Timberline lake. There is a creek crossing where I opted to remove my shoes/socks. I hiked in the middle of a rainy summer season, so the Mosquitos were ferocious along the marshy shoreline.

Great, easy but scenic hike off the beaten path. I'll do it again if I'm ever in the area.