Thomas Lakes Trail

Thomas Lakes Trail is a 13.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Basalt, CO that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Carbondale: From Carbondale travel south on Hwy. 133 for approximately 1.4 miles. Make a left turn on Prince Creek Road and go about 6 miles to the fork in the road. Take a right at the fork and follow it for 2 miles. The trailhead is 1/4 mile before Dinkle Lake.

This is a moderate trail, without a doubt. Steady incline all the way up. That being said, it is worth the trip. Stunningly gorgeous lakes with one framed by Sopris. Definitely dog friendly as we saw lots of pups.

This was a great hike, however, I would not say it was easy. As in a previous review, most of the hike was straight up. My wife and I are not avid hikers but we were able to make it up the trail in about 4 hours. It was really worth it though.

Nice hike, round trip from parking lot is about 8 miles. Mostly uphill and quite rocky, but beautiful lakes at the base of Mt Sopris. Much better to do in the fall , colors were fantastic 9/18/16

"Uphill" the whole way but soooo worth it once you reach either of the lakes! It took us two hours up and two hours down but we tacked on a good 40 minutes going up because we had never had to herd cows before (lmao, great story)
I want to go again and camp by the lakes and then summit sopris!!

Absolutely stunning hike...and there are two ways you can go. The first time we hiked this area, we veered to the left or Hay Park. Yesterday, we decided to go see Thomas Lake. We started on the trailhead at 2PM (granted we hike quite a bit and may have cut some time off), but reached Lake #1 at 5:15pm. There are some fairly steep shots, and daunting amounts of loose rock on much of the trail. I definitely recommend taking sticks for balance. You will cross small streams and see vistas of wildflowers, Aspens and evergreens. The trail is heavily traveled, especially on the weekends. On our descent we saw a small herd of locally owned cows that were grazing. The lakes (yes there are two) are pristine and in the right light are the most amazing color of teal. The water is crystal clear. There 12 sites to camp here too, which we hope to do next year. Public Service Announcement: This is Colorado and weather can change dramatically in minutes. We saw countless people sporting flip flops and tank tops. Just the day before we hiked Thomas, we went to the Lost Man Lake and it started to snow! We had all the extra gear and were toasty warm. So please take sensible shoes, a jacket, rain gear, a hat and some gloves. Water is advisable too and maybe an energy bar. Enjoy! This is a wonderful hike!

We loved it

Trail is not easy. I would call this a moderate hike. Lots of large loose rocks throughout. Need to be nimble on your feet and be aware of foot placement the entire time. Beautiful views of Sopris and the Lakes are pristine. Mosquitos were hungry and many, so bring bug spray.

Hiked it yesterday . Scenic trail . Moderate .

It was beautiful. I was looking forward to it then I realized that it's not that easy. it's rated easy but definetly not as easy as it makes it sound! I almost gave up many times!

This hike is 3.8 IN - to the lakes, not round trip. We were out for a shorter walk and everything you read says 3.6 miles round trip. Our GPS said 3.8 from the parking lot to the lakes.. It is a 4 hour hike at the least. Very rocky and up hill all the way. It was beautiful at the lakes and worth the hike if your prepared for more than it says.

Crystal clear water @ the lakes

Update: I completed this trail last week. The meadow of wildflowers in the middle was fantastic! The mileage listed (3.6 miles) didn't give with my GPS which reported well over 4 miles to the lakes from the parking lot. For us, the trail was 8.35 miles round trip and took 4 hours and 10 minutes. It's a lovely hike, but the first and last parts of the trail are VERY rocky. You can't take a step without hitting a rock. It made for a slow-going trip.

I tried this hike twice and first time was too snowy. 2nd was beautiful. Challenging areas but worth it.

Beautiful, not-too-tough hike. The lakes are gorgeous!

This is a great trail with awesome scenery. I have done it twice now and recommend it to anyone who loves hiking and camping.