The Incline Trail

The Incline Trail is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Manitou Springs, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

3.6 miles 1976 feet Loop

The trail is the remains of a cog railway that went to the top of Manitou Mountain. The trail gains about 2000 feet of elevation in about a mile. Imagine climbing a rough uneven set of stairs that's a mile long. There is a bail out about half way up that will put you on barr trail. Beware of the false summit just past the bail out. Once you're at the top you can hike back down the incline, or turn south and hike or run back down barr trail. The view from the top over Colorado Springs is worth the effort. This is a great trail for training and it is what most people use it for. As of right now it is illegal to hike the incline, it's private property and hiking it is considered trespassing. Of course, this doesn't stop hundreds of people from doing it every week, but hike at your own risk.

Trail is closed until Dec 2016 for maintenance, but the Barr trail is open.

Absolutely love doing this hike on the weekends!

The incline is HARD, but rewarding. I still can't believe I did it, and I live at sea level. Get there early, and bring plenty of water. Lots of camaraderie on the way up. The Barr Trail hike coming down is awesomely beautiful.

Very very hard in high traffic periods but oh so rewarding

July hike-Feels great to make it to the top---it's intense. I was a little taken aback with the crowds. I went a 6:00AM and there were tons of people. Be prepared to park downtown and walking a lot to get to the incline--I didn't mind that but was surprised at how far out I had to park! The crowds were irritating at first but then I made it fun and it was interesting to see all the types giving this one a go. It can get very warm--early morning start if a summer day is my suggestion--be prepared-sunscreen, hat, shoes with good tread, WATER. The hike down is gorgeous-loved it!

So amazing and rewarding

Super hard but totally worth it! I only made it up to the trail then took Barr Trail down. The view once you get up there though is magnificent!

Very unique climb, straight up with lots of camaraderie with other Incliners. More of a "workout" than "hike", but coming down Barr trail is nice too.

Bummed that it was closed for maintenance! Did this hike a several months ago and it was a good, grueling workout.

I have hiked this trail once s month for two years. In winter crampons are a must!

It's hard but worth it. When it opens back up we will be back.

September 16, 2016. This trail is under construction until dec 2016. closed to public. Looks awesome though and was bummed!

I'm from sea level but I've been in Colorado a couple months now. I'm definitely not in the best shape and I'm working on getting my heart in better condition. It did take me a very long time because of that, BUT I did it and I wouldn't change that! It was hard as hell, but I had such a feeling of accomplishment after doing it. I think everyone should do it at least once.

THE Colorado Springs hike. Earn the view and jog down Barr Trail!