EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Templeton Trail

Templeton Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Colorado Springs, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Challenging Inner City Wilderness Loop Palmer Park is one of the largest park/open spaces in the city of Colorado Springs. It contains excellent facilities: dog park, horse stable, riding trails, picnic areas, and for our purposes, hiking trails. My favorite is the four mile loop that circumnavigates the top of the mesa in the center of the park. The Templeton Trail begins and ends at the Yucca Flats trailhead. I suggest hiking clockwise on this trail because the trail signs are easier to read when moving in this direction. The trail is challenging in that you'll encounter a variety of topography and terrain along the way, rocks and dirt, up and down, zig and zag, more zig and zag combined with up and down. Dogs are allowed on the trail off-leash.

Listed as an advanced trail at the park. Great workout, lots of rocks and scrambling, definitely more of a hike than a walk with great views from the top of the rocks. I'd say it would be suitable for older kids, the littles might have a harder time, though, with sometimes uncertain footing on the gravel. Trail splits several times and reconnects with itself, also crosses several other trails so you've got to pay close attention if you want to stay on Templeton.
My pug made the loop, but was pretty wore out by the end. Husband and I enjoyed it.

This trail was awesome. It is right by my house so very easy to get to from town. The trail is pretty rocky. Hiking is great not too sure if it would be good for mountain biking because of all the rocks but great scenery for being in the city. The only thing I didn't like was that the trials were not marked that great so be careful.

Excellent trail to hike with kids and dogs! You get a fabulous view in all directions of the city while still enjoying a hike through varying terrain. The rock formations accompanying the trail were unique and provided a good opportunity for my kids to adventure around. I also recommend going clockwise for ease of trail tracking. Despite being up in the rocks, there was still a fair amount of foliage to provide refreshing shade throughout the hike. As said already, it's a fabulous hike in our own backyard here in the Springs!

I wish I would have read more reviews before setting out this morning. I started the trail counterclockwise and had much difficulty following the trail once I reached the Yucca section. I ended up back tracking twice. I eventually found my way back to the Edna Mae Bennett Trail and the North Canon Trailhead. Beautiful morning and still hiked 4ish miles. My dog and I will try this one again. Super loved the easy location!

I really enjoyed my early morning hike. Going counter-clockwise has tons of climbing. Going clockwise in the morning keeps you in good shade and there is still a decent amount of climbing. Will definitely do again soon.

one of my favorites. Lots of terrain so you don't get bored. great 4 mile loop. can b crowded at times. best to go early. hiking clockwise is easier to follow the trail signs. counterclockwise is a bit more challenging as it involves more climbing. you really do feel away from it all while walking smack in the middle of town.

great daily workout!

I've driven by this trail for 15 years and finally decided to give it a shot over the weekend. Very nice trail. Lots of up and down, great workout for the legs. Awesome views! Only two complaints. The smell of horse manure around the beginning of this trail. And it is close to traffic but not so much that it dampened the hike. Definitely will do again.

A nice 4 mile loop. We started at the North Canon Trailhead. Follow it to the Edna Mae Bennet Trailhead. There's also a port-o-potty. Veer left to start the Templeton Trail. It's a pretty easy loop trail that's well marked for the most part. You'll come to some forks but either way you choose they always meet back up a very short distance later. The only time we got really confused was when we reached the Yucca Area. Come up to the parking lot area and head toward the bright yellow post that says Trail. That'll get you back to the Templeton trail. If you ever get lost or feel it's too much just hop on the Edna Mae Bennet trail. It's shorter and will get you back to where you started. Overall, the Templeton trail has some fantastic views. There is some minor rock climbing in some areas but nothing crazy. We came across one mountain biker and multiple people with dogs but for the most part it was pretty light on traffic. My only real complaint was that you could still here the roads for most of the hike but it wasn't enough to to ruin it or anything.

Nice loop hike in the city.

Great hike, a little challenging in places but not overly challenging throughout, highly recommend and easy to get to, plenty of starting points throughout the park.

good hike with great views. challenging but not as hard as the black diamond rating would indicate.

I really liked this hike! I'm here visiting so I wasn't very familiar with the trail heads so I found some good directions on another site. I chose to start at the Yucca Flats trailhead. Follow the paved park road passed the athletic fields. The road is narrow and winds back and forth. About a mile back, the road will split. Take the gravel road to the right (you'll see a blue sign that reads "Lazy Land") and follow it to the dead end. This trail intersects with others (Mesa, Yucca) so I'm not certain I stayed on Templeton the entire time. The trail was sometimes hard to follow and many of the plates that mark the trails are missing. Nonetheless, it was gorgeous and I always found my way. It was a warm winter day (60 degrees!) so I thought I'd see more people out there. In the beginning yes, but once I found my way to Templeton, I only saw three couples during my two hour hike. The views were stunning and scenery changed often. Sometimes under trees, other times surrounded by rock formations, and occasionally walking in fields of high grass. If you go in winter, expect some slick spots and mud from snow on the ground. If you haven't already, I'd put this one on your must-see list!