Tanglewood Trail

Tanglewood Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Tanglewood Trail begins in the southeast corner of the Wilderness and climbs north to a saddle on the boundary between the Pike and Arapaho National Forests. Trail is almost entirely in the Mount Evans Wilderness.

Qualifier: I am 64 years old, so younger legs may do better than mine. A mixed review: a picturesque trail, with a jackpot of views at the Continental Divide, including a nice view of Rosalie, and huge Bristlecone Pine trees. The downside: although the first mile is OK, the middle three miles are a near-constant scree of exposed roots and jumbled rocks, together with tons of ankle-rollers. I have nothing against horses, don't mind the Trail biscuits, but the trail is so hoof-pounded that much of the trail really is a HORSE trail. I'll probably hike it again sometime in the future, but I'm not a fan of all the rocks.

DH, 11 yo son, and I made our way up Tanglewood a little more than 3 miles before son was done. Trail during switchbacks became tricky to follow.
LOVED, LOVED that we could actually count the number of groups we passed (vs the hoards of people on our 14er). Quiet and peaceful. Enjoyed the trickling creek and wind through the pines. In two weeks, the aspens will be changing colors and the trail will look different. Feels like a moderate plus rating is deserved.

Wow! What a beautiful view at the top! It wasn't too crowded at all and the trail was pretty easy to follow the whole way. It's tiring for sure but doable! Can't wait to come back and maybe try to go up Rosalie!

We went up Tanglewood, cut across and came down Rosalie. Would have made the entire Tanglewood trek but we can small children, who ended up doing great on the loop we took. It was challenging up Tanglewood, but the views were much better as we cut across and then came down Rosalie. Would recommend.

This is my favorite trail. Why Rosalie trail is rated difficult and Tanglewood is rated moderate, I have no idea. Tanglewood to Rosalie Peak is a killer hike. 12 miles and 4300 feet of gain/loss makes it one bad SOB. or... stretch your legs and do the 13.8 mile trek to Beartrack Lakes! it too offers over 4,000 feet of gain!
Tanglewood makes hikers strong. 3 or 4 days out there will give you the sort of physical improvements you need to be truly capable of 20 mile hikes at any elevation. It's remote, ancient and breathtaking, literally :)
Tanglewood is for real hikers!

One of my favorite trails!

7/31/16 - if you love to follow a stream like I do then this is the trail for you. Limited traffic today, had the trail to myself coming down. I definitely didn't see some of the things others have pictures in the reviews. Perhaps not far enough. There weren't any vistas for me except one. Water was beautiful though.

Beautiful hike along the creek and on up over Pegmatite Pass to Mount Rosalie summit for the ambitious.

It was about 10 miles RT for us. Got to the top at about 9pm, sat on the rocks & enjoyed dinner. Night hiked back down. Pretty with the river right there a lot of the way. A very good moderate+ trail.

Trail was kinda meh for me. Seen many trails like this thru trees by creek, nothing special about this one. Not sure about all 5 star reviews. I seen better. Although, we did not reach Pegmatite points, which was really our destination, because of 2+ ft snow and we did not have snowshoes or traction devices and couple people in our group chickened out trying post holing. We stopped literally 400 ft from the points, which was disappointing. We did total 7.2 miles out and back. Points are a total of 8 miles apporx. Had not expected that much snow. Maybe in another 2 wks Pegmatite points are possible when the snow melts. Saw some views of Mt. Royal.

beautiful hike through the trees. It is a good work out. The trail leads up above tree line. the Tanglewood trees are a beautiful site to see. The view of neighboring peaks not bad either.

Absolutely beautiful ! Took this trail all the way to Roosevelt Lakes after going over the saddle. I think we saw & heard the same marmot that a previous reviewer mentioned. One of the most beautiful hikes we have done! It was tough for me but so glad I did it!

Fun hike with a beautiful creek and lots of trees...bristle cone pines towards the end!

Beautiful stream along the whole first half...doggies loved it. Very rocky and quite steep near the top, but the view is worth it. Took us 6.5 hours, but we stopped for lunch at Pegmatite Point and enjoyed the chirping marmot!