Switzerland Trail

Switzerland Trail is a 40.1 mile point-to-point trail located near Boulder, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October.

40.1 miles 6082 feet Point to Point

off road driving

Great trail with lots of joining trails for varying experience levels. It was snowing when we went so we couldn't complete it. We have a Jeep TJ 4.0L with a small 2.5" lift and A/T tires. Handled great and only used the 4x4 sometimes

off road driving

So I started at the parking area off of Sugarloaf Mtn rd. This was a big area and you could choose two directions to go. I just picked the one to the North. Not marked well at all. Trail started off pretty easy with loose rocks and dirt road type conditions. Trail was about 2 to 3 feet wider than my Jeep. Lots of scenery and nice east wheeling. After 10 miles we got to Gold Hill Rd and had not yet been in 4wd, however I felt like the clearance of my 3.5 inch lift kit was helpful, I was surprised to see a Honda Civic parked on the side after several miles. The trail became un-maintained at this point, with bushes crowding in and scraping down the sides of my Jeep. This went on for another 1.5 miles to where the trail (Marked as #93) ended. We ran into some local there and I asked how to get out. They told me I had two choices, 1 turn around and go back or 2. climb over the peak and there will be a road about a mile past. We choose to make the climb. Had to use 4wd low and had no issues. Lots of 5 to 10 inch loose rocks on the path like a dried river bed. Made it over and found the road. Ended up doding 11.5 miles total. Was a bit disappointed in the poorly maintained section and the fact that the trail just ended and with the guy on the dirt bike that got all pissed off that he had to wait 19 seconds for me to find a wide enough area for him to pass, thanks for spraying my Jeep with rocks and dirt Ahole!. Overall a good day though.

Perfect, super ride with some mud puddles but a nice combination of sand, rock and smooth dirt. We parked at the entrance outside gold hill and had a super ride. Stopped by Gold Hill for a beer after and made for a fantastic morning.