Staunton Ranch and Bugling Elk Loop Trail

Staunton Ranch and Bugling Elk Loop Trail is a 8.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Staunton Ranch Trail is a wide trail and the central avenue to navigate Staunton State Park. Colorado's newest state park opened to the public on May 18, 2013. The park is located approximately 40 miles southwest of downtown Denver, north of US Highway 285 and about six miles west of Conifer. The Park sits divided between Park and Jefferson counties, in Pine, Colorado. From high grassy meadows at 8,100 feet to soaring granite cliffs over 10,000 feet, Staunton State Park's varied geology, soils, water features, and climate support rare and unexpected plant communities and a rich diversity of wildlife and provide a myriad of outdoor recreation opportunities. For a shorter trail option, try: http://alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/staunton-state-park--3

Great trail! Well marked and not difficult. Had some great views on the back side of the hike.

We actually hiked to Elk Falls (not in AllTrails) which was 12 miles out and back. It was pretty easy hike, we even took my 9 yr old with no complaints! Started around 10am, finished at 530pm not very busy at all. Saw 3 coyotes on the road on the way up and tons of mule deer along the trail. We did get hailed on, had to hide under some trees, but the waterfall was beautiful. Volunteers did drive by twice during our hike. Great biking trails also!

Fun hike. Lots of areas of shade and exposure.

Close to Denver, gorgeous weather, beautiful views, and not much elevation gain. Great last minute decision to hike! Not very crowded, however, started around 9am. Started to get crowded as we left around 1pm. There is a "new" trail called Chimney Rock, veering left after the cabin and lake. This takes you to the base of the falls -- great lunch spot.

We had a wonderful ride. If you have a horse trailer, know that there are about 6 designated parking spots.

We did this trail, and added others making our ride just shy of 15 miles. Lots of little water crossings that are very rocky. The hikers and bikers were all very courteous.

Fun hike. A little busy, however not as bad as a lot of state parks in Colorado.

A very nice hike with several trails to combine together to make more of a loop then an out and back. There was a fair amount of bikers and a few horses on the trails.
The extra trail to the overlook has great views of the valley and the waterfall far on the otherside.
The park according to their website is adding new trails, including one to the base of the waterfall.

Spectacular hike. Well marked and well kept trails. Numerous loop options.
I was on the trail by 7:30am and it was very quiet. Lots of solitude. Plus a pervasive aroma of pine. Shade dominated until 10:30. Then the sun prevailed. Large sections are open to the sun, so be prepared. A mid-day summer hike would be harsh.
My loop measured 11.5 miles in 4:24. Expect mountain bikes and horses. The trails are reasonably wide so the fast moving traffic didn't bother me.
$7 to enter, but worth it. A great place!

I was pleasantly surprised with this trail. A moderate hike with most of the up hill on the way out. If I did it again I wouldn't hike all the way up to the falls. Yes it's a beautiful view but I was really disappointed with how far the falls were away. If you are hiking it to see a water fall don't waste your time. If you love scenic views and enjoy long hikes then sure go for it. I was amazed at how many people hike out this far without adequate gear. We are in Colorado people always be prepared.

This hike had a nice clear path the whole way through. Once you reach the pond I highly recommend sticking it out and walking up Elk Falls Overlook. It overlooks a waterfall and is a beautiful view!

Long hike but really beautiful!

Such an awesome hike that I would recommend to anyone!

This was a lovely trail. Very clear and lots of gorgeous scenery. Get there right when it's open at 7am for nice clear, cool air and to beat the crowds. The walk up the incline to the outlook is definitely worth it! Just stick it out!

Really nice trail. The Davis pond loop is a quick trail. So I went past the picnic area and hiked the Staunton Trail. Really beautiful views from the start. Saw a baby deer and my dogs almost went nuts! They have signs that say Moose are active in the area. Only saw 2 other small groups when I went around 1pm on a Wednesday. $7 for a day pass!