St. Mary's Falls Trail

St. Mary's Falls Trail is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colorado Springs, Colorado that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Colorado Springs: ACCESS: 1. From Colorado Springs, take either 26th St. or Cheyenne Road to North Cheyenne Canyon Road to Gold Camp Road. About 1 mile past the locked gate at the intersection of North Cheyenne Canyon Road,Gold Camp Road andHigh Drive is the trailhead.

Loved it, but not a light day hike,...def take some snacks and some water. Our dog loved it too

So amazing!

Loved the trail. Very less traffic on the new year. Covered with snow and sleet all along the trail. Spikes on shoes are highly recommended at this time.The fall is frozen completely and can walk over it as there is snow over the falls. But the icy section is very dangerous and extremely slippery. Can hear the water flowing underneath the frozen fall. Loved the trail overall. Overall roundtrip time was 6 hours as the path was slippery and we stopped at alot of places.

The trail even in the winter time was beautiful. A little traffic at first, but the 1.6 mile trek up the hill was peacful

In reply to Blo Mi's post (classy name, by the way), it's obviously more crowded around holidays (such as the day after Thanksgiving, when he wrote the post). Went hiking with my friend today (a Sunday, we arrived there around 12:30pm) and we only came in contact with a handful of people... there was plenty of parking in the lot as well. I'm not a native, although I've been living in Denver for over a year now, and I think "moderate" is an accurate description for the difficulty of the hike. It's definitely not for beginners, but far from impossible for those who aren't conditioned (or those with a heart condtion, like me)! Make sure to pack some good waterproof hiking boots for this trail.

I was a bit unimpressed with the view from the falls (mostly because they were completely frozen over, and I didn't want to walk across the ice), but it was a great hike nonetheless. I'd love to do it again in the spring.

First of all, I would not classify this as "light" traffic. Crossed paths with people coming and going constantly. Maybe on a weekday but on the weekend there was nowhere to park in the afternoon, had to walk up the pavement from the Helen hunts lot, then another mile or two just to get to the trail head. This is a hugely popular spot, get there super early or wait til early evening. The trail itself I would classify as easy-moderate but I'm a native. My wife from out east was sucking air the whole way up and would probably classify it as super-hard. Probably one of the better hikes so close to the city but be prepared for a steep climb and a pre-hike before getting to the trail head down gold camp road. Leave the kids at home for this one.

Great trail. Beautiful views and calm walk along the creek. Enjoy this trail, had some excellent snowshoeing on it too!

Short, moderately strenuous "staired" trail that winds around a really nice waterfall. The view from the top looks all the way back into Colorado Springs.

We parked at the High Drive entrance and walked up that way. Lots of people on that road and lots of dog poop. Once I got to the actual trail head, it was phenomenal. Lots of areas along the creek to let the dogs off leash and get them water. good hike to get us out of the house for the morning

Easy to get lost on some parts of this trail, but great views in the Cheyenne Cañon none the less.

Had a great hike yesterday to the falls. It is 6.5 miles round trip from the upper parking lot, however, NOT 5.2. Good exercise (uphill all the way up, but not super steep) and not many people on the trail. Took us about an hour and a half to get to the falls. I've always liked this hike, and my dog likes it, too!

Nice trail with healthy elevation gain once you get off the gravel road. I wish folks on the road would be more diligent about cleaning up after their dogs.

Pretty magnificent views of the city and the trails provided some breathtaking views. The later half of the trail provides the ambience of the stream as you walk along it as well as the very beginning which is very relaxing. The trail splits in some sections but will still take you to the falls whether you take the upper or lower pathway. Helen Hunt Falls is there as well which was an bonus for us as we're new to Colorado!

The falls are pretty and so is the view. At the last sign, there is a path going straight and one going to the right. GO TO THE RIGHT! If you go straight, you wind up scrambling up steep rocks. the path to the right is nice and easy tho.