Silver Dollar Lake Trail

Silver Dollar Lake Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Directions from Georgetown: From the Georgetown I-70 exit, #228, follow the signs for Guanella Pass through Georgetown. On the first dirt road past Guanella Pass Campground (9 miles) turn right. (At this point if you do not have a 4 wheel-drive vehicle, please park your car here) Go up this dirt road about 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

This is a well defined trail that's easy and fun to navigate. Great shot of Mt. Bierstadt in the distance.

This was an awesome trail! I can only imagine how gorgeous it will be with the wildflowers in bloom. Silver dollar lake was just frozen over and it looked like a winter wonderland.

Beautiful trail

Great hike, snowed about 4" while we hiked on 11/5. Road between parking lot and trailhead was very icy.

Great intermediate/starter hike for someone new to Colorado and new to the altitude! Took me about two hours, going at a slow and steady pace. Beautiful views along the way. Highly recommend. Go early! Gets busy later in the day.

Other TrailSites have different Mileage info
- US Forest Service has 1.5 Miles TrailHead to Lake (3 Miles Out/Back)
- Google Maps Calculates 2.4 Miles Guanella Pass Rd to Lake (4.8 Miles Out/Back)
- My Measurements Trails Illustrated ~2 Miles Guanella Pass Rd to Lake (~4 Miles Out/Back)
- Another TrailSite has 4-5 Miles Guanella Pass Rd to Lake Out/Back
*** Approximate 4-5 Miles Guanella Pass Rd to Lake Out/Back seems to be correct..

Spectacular hike w gorgeous views!! Trail well-marked w minimal traffic. Definitely need a 4WD vehicle to get to the trailhead, and that made it even more fun! Will definitely be back!

My wife and I hiked this trailer on Sunday Oct 23rd. What a great hike. we got there early, and were on the trail by 9:30 am. there was a little bit of snow on parts of the trail, but nothing to difficult to deal with. We had lunch at the lake and were back at the car by noon.
It was a bit cold that early on the mountain with the wind, but by the time we hit Silver Dollar Lake it was warming up, and made for a great day.
We spoke to a few really nice people, which added to our experience.

beautiful hike, not many people

Hiked late July. The wild flowers were astoundingly beautiful. Wear a shoe with some good tread, a low tread tennis shoe or sandal wouldn't be a good idea for this one.

Loved it

I didn't like this hike. While it was pretty enough, it's straight up and steep going down. My dog had a great time, but I thought it was just meh.

Nice short hike, elevation can make breathing a bit difficult if you are asthma prone but otherwise easy and quick hike!

Great views for a short hike. Definitely go the little extra up this hill past silver dollar to the next lake. I've done this hike twice cas I love it. The road up is a little sketchy but makeable

9/18/16 - Cool (mid 30s ((7:30am) to mid 50s (2:00pm)). Very windy day - all day. Easy to moderate well "backed" trail - trail to upper (Murray Lake) moderate to steep. Encountered less than 10 hikers, most with dogs, before 10:00am and then 50+ hikers for the entire day.

Saw a Bald Eagle early on the hike - no big game. Fall foliage getting near it's peak - probable sometime this week.

Fished both lakes - 2 plus hours - no hits.

Great shorter but strenuous hike, fine for beginning hikers! Crowded, but worth it. Very dog friendly, lots of dogs on and off leash, I liked that I could let my well-behaved, non-confrontational dog off leash and most didn't complain about it. Bring a jacket, cold and windy at the lake. Uphill and strenuous at the bottom 1/3, top 2/3 was above treeline, great scenery. Didn't hike to the second lake, but will the next time. It's 2 miles up from the parking area inside the campground (dirt and rocky road, need a little clearance, steep in some places, Subaru was totally fine), 3 miles up from the paved parking lot on Guanella Pass road.