Shelf Road / Gold Belt Tour

Shelf Road / Gold Belt Tour is a 26.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Florissant, CO that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

26.3 miles 2163 feet Point to Point

off road driving

Scenic route from Cripple Creek to Canon City.

scenic driving

Fun drive. I didn't do the whole thing. But still very pretty. And lots of places to go along the road.

off road driving

A very fun drive. If I was to drive it again, I'd start in Canon city and drive north up to Cripple Creek.

-J

off road driving

Very cool drive. We did it in a friends Rubicon yesterday. Went down from Cripple Creek, then back up as the sun was setting. It was an easy drive saw many 2wd vehicles. Took awesome pictures!

off road driving

Shelf Road is a great drive with amazing views. I did it in a Wrangler, but saw
several 2wd vehicles on the road as well. Washboard and ruts may make a normal suspension a bit uncomfortable, but I believe it's doable when the road is dry.

off road driving

We did this trail in combination with the Phantom Canyon Trail. We drove up Phantom Canyon, which is an old railroad bed to Victor/Cripple Creek, and down the Shelf Road. In dry weather, one could easily do this in a 2WD vehicle. Very nice mountain drive!

off road driving

A great scenic trail that's suitable for most vehicles. Shelf road can be a little interesting if you're new to backroad driving, but it's still fun. A great way to spend the day in the mountains.

off road driving

Not bad at all, it's really easy, unless you get off Shelf road, overall, very scenic and fun for exploring.

off road driving

The trail is rated off road. It was rough but I made it in a two wheel drive car. I started at Cripple Creek and drove to hwy 50. Nice scenic drive. Go slow and enjoy, its a rough ride anyway.

scenic driving

Nice scenic drive after all this rain. Everything is really green. Keep an eye out for oncoming traffic with this narrow road.