Shadow Canyon Trail to South Boulder Peak

Shadow Canyon Trail to South Boulder Peak is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful hike. more difficult than I anticipated with a lot of scrambling over rocks. loved it and definitely will do it again.

PROS: Beautiful trail. Steep incline. Awesome views from the top.

CONS: Limited parking.

Good work out and solid views at the end. The ascent once you're in the canyon is very challenging for inexperienced hikers.

When u actually get up to canyon if your there during the "magic hour" beauty. Plus 2 abandoned cabins along the way

It was brutal. We climbed to Bear Peak. Worth the view!

Gorgeous hike, tons of wildflowers, streams and of course, the Flatirons to keep you going. Only qualm of course is the search for parking.

We did this hike from Shanahan trailhead. It was a total thigh burner. We took Big Blue stem trail back to the car and it was very plesant. I probably wouldn't do this hike unless you are looking for a good workout. Good views from the top of both peaks though!

Awesome trail! Actually ran into a black bear on the way back but was about 400 yds away.

Wow what a hike. I started with the Shadow Canyon Trail and at the halfway point decided to head all the way up to South Boulder Peak. The SCT portion was pretty tame but was the elevation gain kicked in it became a good workout. There are a good amount of rocks in the SCT (past the halfway point) until the switchbacks. From where the trail splits between SBP and Bear Peak all te way to the top of SBP there is still a fair amount of icy snow (enough that I wish I had my microspikes). You be able to see a whole lot because of the tree cover until the top but let me say it is soooo worth it. All of the Front Range mountains are in view. We think we spotted Longs Peak, Grays & Torreys, Evans & Bierstadt, and Pikes Peak in the distance. So worth the wait and I cant wait to go back and go after Bear Peak. Enjoy!

Closer to 9.8 miles than 7 miles from South Mesa Trailhead. Used mapmyhike to track my miles, I'm guessing that that 7 miles on the map isn't accounting for the minute and many switchbacks in shadow canyon. Took me about 4 and a half hours.

Amazing views when you get to S. Boulder Peak!

This was a great hike that's close to town. There are a lot of branches off the trail at the beginning, but if you start off on Mesa trail you can just stay on it all the way to Shadow Canyon trail, which is well marked. There's a lot of scrambling after you get on Shadow Canyon trail, so it was definitely a challenging hike. The only reason I'm giving this hike a 4 rather than a 5 is because we didn't make it all the way to the top due to weather, so we didn't see the last stretch. 5 hours is a realistic estimate for the full out and back if you're in pretty good shape.

Conditions were pretty muddy as of 5/23/15.

GPS coordinates to the trailhead are: N39 56.326 W105 15.493
Parking fee is $5/car

Tough ascent, power hiking and scrambling...non runnable for my slow old self.

This is a great trail, but the address is completely off. This location will take you to a Boulder neighborhood and house.