Second Creek Trail

Second Creek Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Winter Park, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, cross country skiing, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail begins at Second Creek Trailhead along Highway 40 into gentle climbing in the forested area along Second Creek before opening up to the north near treeline and ascending 800 vertical feet. At the top of the ridge you'll pass the old Second Creek Cabin A-frame, replaced by the newer Broome Hut. Dogs are not allowed at Broome Hut.

Definitely needed snowshoes during the winter. People were skiing down from the top, looked so fun! It was a great trail and I can't wait to go back with the right gear.

We hiked up Thanksgiving morning to the Broom hut with our puppy. Gators and crampons were nice to have! We packed in dinner and ate at the Broom hut which has a public day use section.

This trail is a definite favorite! We hiked this with our 8 year old twins and they made it like champs! I don't see how people go up so fast. We stopped for air several times but also because of how amazing the views were! The creek area is just gorgeous with the snow and icy patches. Broome hut is awesome and the view from the top is very beautiful. Very cold wind up there so pack a scarf, beanie, gloves if you hang out at the picnic table at the top. Worth it!

Whew, what a climb for this very overweight flatlander. Proud to have made it to the top in 1 hour 40 minutes with lots of breathing breaks. Only took us 40 minutes to get down. Lived every minute of it. Only wildlife we saw was a group of college boys headed up as we headed down.

For a person coming from the Southwest, this hike was not hard, but it was not easy. The challenge was the steady steepness of the trail - the majority of the hike was an incline, so it made the descent nice going down, but still can take a toll on the knees! This trail will get you huffing and puffing, and get your heart pumping big time, but the views are heavenly and majestic. I went Sept time, and there was only one other person, so I felt I had the mountains all to myself!!!! Breathtaking views. Even small patches of snow in certain spots...good to put in your Cantine or camelback!

Fun hike if you are looking for one to finish fast. Took it up to Vasquez peak and then explored on top for about another hour. Nice view of the continental divide. I was up and down in 3 1/2 hours

Hike up steep and rises fast and steady. Views are amazing on the way up and at the hut.

steep and rocky but stunning views

Beautiful quick but somewhat steep hike.

Beautiful views. Loved the running water and the hut was amazing.

summit views that you could stare at all day!