Saint Charles Trail

Saint Charles Trail is a 17.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Wetmore, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

The trail is steep, it was supposed to be from the trail head to summit and back 9.8 miles however we didn't make it to the summit and my pedometer read 10.0 miles. It is absolutely beautiful but it is altitude gain almost the whole way out. You cross several springs while doing long switch backs through a drainage until reaching saddle that leads into another valley. Shorter steeper switchbacks once you get to the next valley. We were unsure how much further and checked the pedometer after we had cleared .25 mile further than what should be the summit we headed back. I later checked the USGS map and found that we were less than 1/2 from the summit. The scenery was amazing and very thick Forrest. I had never seen Spanish moss in the mountains.

Didn't complete the hike since I got started late and some weather started coming in, but the condition was good for the most part. Trail was generally visible, but had to look around a couple times when it was buried in snow. Probably more fun later in the season (or when not wearing shorts). Nice trail though.