Rocky Fork Trail

Rocky Fork Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Basalt, CO and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and cross country skiing and is accessible from June until September.

Directions from Carbondale: From Carbondale travel east on Hwy. 82 to Basalt. Turn left into downtown Basalt and follow the Fryingpan River Road about 13 miles. Take a right at the anglers access road below the Ruedi Dam, cross the river and follow the road to the left until it dead ends at the trailhead.

This trail was moderate as described. My husband and I went on July 4th with our French bulldog and he did just fine. One thing I'd like to point out is that most of the trail was tall grass at least 3-4 ft high. I broke out in hives from walking through all of the brush and my dog got 2 tick bites. Luckily Lyme disease isn't prevalent in Colorado so he seems ok and the bite marks went away the next day. We only lasted about 5 miles because we got tired of going through all the brush.