Rich Creek Trail

Rich Creek Trail is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Fairplay, CO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

This can be done as a loop with the Tumble Creek trail.

Good for first time backpacking with high school students.

Although we didn't have time to complete the entire trail we hiked over 2.5 hours. It was absolutely beautiful and I want to go back next year. Another hiker stated we just missed a female moose and two calves. The stream provided a soothing sound as we winded up the mountain. Can't wait to get back.

Hi P.U. and any other recent trail users,

I just called the ranger station in Fairplay and they said the trailhead was 'underwater' a few weeks ago. I'm looking to head up this coming weekend. Sounds like things have dried out. Could you confirm if you did the whole loop?

Fun hike, great quick hike to the overlook.

Great 3 day hike for novice backpackers - loop hikes are always great. It was my 13 year old son's first backpack trip and he loved it even though we did it in 2 days. Trail is very well marked with the exception of Buffalo Meadows. Hiking the route counter-clockwise you need to be very careful to get to the other side of Rich Creek or else you will be slushing along the bog and getting wet feet. There's little chance of getting lost but always bring a map.

Great trail. Well maintained and challenging. We started at about 7:45 AM and it worked out great. We hiked counterclockwise and it seemed to be the right decision.

This is a nice trail but difficult in some spots where you have to climb along the rocky or steep edge of the creek to continue. There were some people up here with kids but that seemed like it would be a challenge in these spots. I would certainly do this trail again.

This is a nice loop trail, either starting with Rich Creek or Tumbling Creek trails. These two connect up, and there are also other trails you can hit from either one.

The trails follow creeks part of the way, wind through meadows and also forests of spruce and fir. Most of the trail area is within the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness area.

There are a few established camp sites, and plenty of other spots that you can camp in.

Most of the trail stays close to water, but a 3 mile stretch up Tumbling Creek from the trailhead is not close to a water supply, so you may want to plan ahead. I ran low on water on the way out over this stretch, not realizing just quite how far I had yet to go.