Mount Evans Resthouse Trail

Mount Evans Resthouse Trail is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, CO that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Idaho Springs: Travel 14 miles south on highway 103 to Echo Lake Campground. The trail begins at the campground (look for the sign that says trail, this takes you past restrooms and camp sites).

You want to dress in layers. The temperature can change by 20 degrees depending on altitude and time of day.

Beautiful trail! we got about 2 miles in and the weather started looking ify so we turned around, but never a day wasted

A beautiful hike although not as exactly as described - much more than 200 feet in elevation gain. This is the 2nd time I have done this hike and unfortunately have never been able to do all of it. You will want to get to the trailhead early as parking is tight. You do NOT need to pay any fees, fees are for camping. While the trail description on this website shows heavy traffic, we started Saturday around 9:45 am and only saw a handful of people on the trail. When I think of heavy traffic I think of the Matthews Winters trail where you are overcome with bikers and hikers on the weekend. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the beauty of the mountain.

What a wonderful trail! Some call this the sister trail to Chicago Lakes, and some say its less interesting. I beg to differ, I enjoyed this trail tons more then the Chicago Lakes trail. I hiked to Lincoln Lake, roughly 5.6 mile from the Resthouse Meadows Trailhead. The trail was mostly mellow in my opinion, you start with going steadily up and then drop steeply down to Vance Creek (around 2 miles), remember this- going back up this one section is a butt-kicker. Its a nice easy grade from the creek and thru the burn area. The burn area is one of my favorite features of the hike. There is will a split to Lincoln Lake or to continue on the Resthouse Meadows trail, my goal was to go to Lincoln Lake so I followed the trail that direction. After about a mile or so in the burn area (mile 4.75is), I entered back into the forest and the trail very gradually started climbing upward. Once you start seeing giant boulders mixed with Bristelcone pines you are almost to the lake. The lake is glorious! There is no trail to the lake shore so you do have to manuvere of those giant boulders to get to the flat. The flat areas around the lake are limited, but obviously the boulders are big enough for rest and relaxing. It took me a little less then 6 hours to complete this trail roundtrip so plan for at least a 1/2 day adventure!

Good, somewhat strenuous trail. Longer than expected. Hiked to Lincoln Lake and it ultimately made the hike worth every step. Beautiful alpine lake and as of now the highway still isn't open so it was nice and peaceful. Definitely plan to be on the trail 4+ hours.

We've done this hike maybe 5 times. We've never made it all the way to the meadows for varying reasons. We do love this hike. It's very scenic, especially Lincoln Lake and the burn area. When people come visit and want a good hike, this is where we take them. It really never gets old!

Beautiful views! The beginning of the trail is a steady climb but once you get to the top, there is a clearing and great scenery. Fun place to explore!

Initially eyeing the opportunity to hike to Lincoln Lake (approximately 6 miles from Echo Lake Campground TH), my fiance and I ended up stopping around the Vance Creek footbridge about 2.2 miles from the Echo Lake campground Trailhead. The hike took us steadily uphill for the first 1.0 mi, then a gradual descent through forested pines to a clearing/meadow at Vance Creek where you could peer up to see the Mount Evans Road.

Overall a nice trail, with moderate difficulty, and rewarding views.