Red Rocks Area Trails

Red Rocks Area Trails is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Beautiful red sandstone rock formations in forested area. After going through the opening in the fence. Head for the path beneath the power lines and follow it South East until just before a short steep section. Look to your left and you will see the Red Rocks formations. There are many trails in, around, and over these rock formations so these directions are just general guidelines. Exploring the many alcoves and cracks of these formations can be a lot of fun. Walk around the South Eastern side of the Red Rocks and follow the line of formations until you either reach a fence or have gone as far as you would like. Then cross through the formations to their northern side and look for a trail that heads back to the parking lot. It is easy to get turned around in this area so remember that if you want to head back, go downhill. That will lead you back to the parking lot. This area is beautiful to look at and explore year round. The easy terrain makes it great for horses, snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and biking.

Short walk to the Red Rock formations. Take your time to explore the formations and all the little chambers. My husband, dog and I had a picnic at the top of the 2nd formation. Would recommend to all skill levels!

a little snow on the ground but absolutely great hike.

We hiked on a Thursday afternoon in late December with an 8 and 9 year old and two dogs. We had a blast climbing the rocks and tromping through the snow. be careful on the snowy rocks and packed paths - it can get slippery.

My wife and I took our 3 year old here on a Monday afternoon. We had the place to ourselves and we had a great time. Short walk from parking area to the red rock formations. We had a blast exploring around, over and between them. Be sure to find the "hidden room" with the giant tree growing in it.

Easy hike to the Red Rocks. Red Rocks are Beautiful. Multiple trail options from there.

Definitely not a hike, but we enjoyed climbing the rocks! Stopped here en route from CO Springs to Breckenridge for a picnic lunch, very peaceful!

You won't be disappointed.

I moved to Colorado from Texas a week before this hike. This little hike was just what I needed to get me started out. I took my dog and we did about .8 miles to the Red Rocks. Total round trip was about 1.5 miles. Enjoyed it.

Great time with family. Great views. Must see.

Nice little hike with my dog. We went about 2 miles. The trails are not marked so beware but most are very well traveled and obvious with the exception of the more wooded areas. Make sure you have your gps handy. The rocks are SO cool to explore. I went on a Monday afternoon weekends are probably busier since it is pretty close to town (Woodland Park). There is electric wires that run through the trails and a lot of down barbed wire right in the middle of trails but just look out.

Awesome!

This is our second time hiking this location (the first time 2 years ago) and I think we liked it even more the second time! Lots of places for the kids to explore and climb (currently 6-10 years old). We'll come back again next year for sure.

We really enjoyed our time here. We have a four year old and it was wonderful to see his excitement as he explored the red rocks and crevices/crags. He called them caves. Our 14 and 19 year olds also enjoyed the adventure. It was sad to see so many trees cut down but it was still a beautiful place. We look forward to going back and maybe have a picnic.

WOW!! Amazing rock formations that beg the question "how did this happen?"
The kids were dead set against a hike before we found the rocks, once we got there, a short hike, they didn't stop climbing and yelling for us to come check out some cool new discovery.
Fun for all ages. my 4 boys are 8-15.