Rampart Reservoir Trail

Rampart Reservoir Trail is a 13.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodland Park, CO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Where the water is as blue as the Colorado sky! If you'd like a day at the lake in Central Colorado, this is the place to go. If you like to hike and/or to fish, this is the place to go. Rampart Reservoir rests on a granite plateau at 9000 ft of elevation, about 10 miles northwest of Colorado Springs and 4 miles east of Woodland Park. It is one of the favorite fishing, hiking, biking, and picnicking areas in the region. I like to hike, and I don't like crowds. So I discovered that reaching the trail around the reservoir from the Rainbow Gulch trailhead is the perfect way to add a beautiful stream-side trek and avoid the parking hassles at the dam end of the reservoir. The trail from the trailhead to the lake, around the lake, and back is approximately 16 miles long. It took be about 6 hours to negotiate the entire route. You will not experience a significant elevation gain at any one point, but because the lake was formed where 12 different streams flowed into West Monument Creek, you will climb at least a dozen different ridges as you work your way around the lake.

Beautiful hike coming from Woodland Park. We have not hiked around the whole trail because we have a dog that can't. So we have only seen the trail from one side.

Extremely scenic.
Not much elevation gain... but the views are awesome.

Awesome... Saw Bikers and a few fishermen. Took our time hiked a total of 14.5 miles in 7 hours.

I loved it. I went the 15 mile loop around the reservoir and it was pretty, varied and simple to follow. Great training loop. Very runnable.

Great trail !! Did the whole loop with very little incline . Hiked it on a sunny day with beautiful views of the water and mountains . Stunning!! Mostly saw mountain bikers , couple trail runners, and 2 other hikers . Not overly populated on the trail which I like a lot. Loved this trail a lot more than Barr Trail d/t views and less people . Did it while Hubby fished .

This used to be one my local favorites for close mountain biking, still a fun loop but way to crowded.
The Mackinaw trail on Pikes Peak is much more secluded with similar views.

Challenging but fun!

It was an incredibly easy walk, not a lot of hills or anything. It is really pretty but it was a cloudy day so I didn't get the full effect of the reservoir. The person I was with said the water is so incredibly blue when it is sunny so we are gonna go back whenever the weather is nicer.

Favorite hike with dogs especially in the fall when the aspens turn, but nice year 'round

Not a bad trail, but it gets a 3 because there are so much more beautiful trails around. It's about a 2-2.5 mile walk from the car to the first sight of the lake. Very pretty forest though and especially in the snow!

Great hike. Beautiful views! Especially today when most of the reservoir was covered in ice.

fly fishing

Great hike. Beautiful scenery! You can see the scars of the Waldo fire, but only a small portion of the area near the lake. We saw several of trail runners and mountain bikers on the trail. Some steep areas, but fairly easy for the average hiker. There are gorgeous views of Pike Peak and the lake. We parked on the far end of the damn and hiked the north side of the lake. We hiked in for about 2 miles, fished for several hours and then hiked out. We did not go around the lake.

Great trail for training.

Awesome views!! Great for kids, we love to fish here. The Rangers are great. We love Rampart!!

Took my 2 and 4 year old girls and had a great time We took Rampart Range Road from GOG all the way up and enjoyed the road and the views of Pikes Peak, GOG, and the Springs. We weren't able to do the whole trail since we have two little ones (and we got a later start and I could see the clouds rolling in) but enjoyed the miles of hiking we were able to do. Beautiful reservoir, fishing spots around there. Clean bathroom where we parked.

Long!!!