Railroad Bed above Manitou Springs

Railroad Bed above Manitou Springs is a 2.1 mile out and back trail located near Cascade, CO and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike along a historic railroad bed through tunnels along a canyon After a brief scramble up some loose tallus to the trail this is a fairly level easy hike. This old railroad bed is falling into disrepair and washouts are beginning to take over. Be sure to hike this before it's gone. It is a wonderful path through history following the abandoned railroad bed above Manitou Springs. Along the way you will pass through 5 tunnels and explore the first half of the sixth. The last half of the sixth tunnel is on private property. A cinderblock wall with a gate will prevent you from going too far. A good flashlight is required for this hike.

This is not a sanctioned trail. It's pretty and has amazing history, but hiking this trail is technically trespassing, so don't expect to see any parking lot or trail maintenance

After doing some research, we found better instructions to the trail head. It seems the parking area has been closed. Probably due to the Waldo canyon fire that shut the other trails up there down. We're going to try walking in maybe next weekend. I'll post again then

The trail head is not marked. The only possible place it could be is behind a locked gate. Very disappointed

The parking area listed on the directions in the middle of 24 has no parking signs.

okay? where is the parking lot? i found someplace to park in manitou but want sure if it was the right place. trashy. homeless community. 2 bad! do not go alone!

This was a pretty cool hike. I liked being able to walk through the old rail road tunnels.

Back for another hike at this location, it's become much worse where liter is concerned. I'm not impressed. I can't tell if it's the homeless or if it's more of the fact that hoodlums come up here to party and trash the area. It's unfortunate too because this hike could be very relaxing and enjoyable. Graffiti has also begun to expand through the tunnels. :(

Incredible trail. Loved it hitting geocaches along the way

I only gave it one star because I had to in order to rate the hike. The hike is disgusting. The litter takes over the trail and the local "homeless" community seems to have taken it over. Too bad, it could have been cool. Disappointing.

This is a short, but fun, hike that offers visitors a chance to walk through history. One of the first hikes I ever went on in Colorado, and I have been back a few times. Usually when someone comes to visit I take them on this one - its pretty simple except for the first part of the trail where you go up a steep/lose rocky climb. It isn't too far, but you will want to brace yourself when you are returning down. Oh, and the other downside is the parking - you have to RUN across Highway 24 in a pretty unsafe area. I would recommend taking a jacket, even on summer days, because the tunnels can be chilly and the area doesn't get much sun. I have never seen a homeless person, but I have seen their belongings and onetime I believe someone was in a tent we passed by. But they are harmless. The only disappointing thing about this trail is that I lost my sunglasses and couldn't find them! LOL. So, if you find some Coach sunglasses (yes, I was hiking in a 3 year old pair of Coach sunglasses) please let me know! ;-)

Nice, easy hike with great views. The tunnels were very cool to look through and the open spaces were pretty. The trail does have some washed out areas so you really have to watch your footing in a couple places, other than that it's in pretty good shape. We didn't think the hike up to the railroad bed was too bad. We found a couple of the geocaches placed here along the way. All in all it was a good hike and we will be back to do it again.

this was a fun short hike, the first part hiking up to the old tracks was a little steep, but i went with 4 kids ranging from 6-13, my sister & her friend who don't hike that much & we all got up not a problem . their was a lot to see along the trail & a few geocachs... you are able to see the stream running below the trail, & in a few ares their was still snow on the ground including the trail its self