Rabbit Mountain via Indian Mesa Trail

Rabbit Mountain via Indian Mesa Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Longmont, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Four designated spots for horse trailers. Restrooms available at trail head and picnic facilities. There is also a group shelter that can accommodate 30 people.

The trail being shown might be correctly titled "Eagle Wind Trail" . . . at least that's how all the signs at the trailhead and along the hike refer to it.

It's ranked as easy, and only has 500, or so, feet of elevation, but it seems like all of the elevation happens in the first 200 yards of the hike. So while, I would agree that it's probably an Easy trail, be forewarned that the brunt of the exertion happens right off the bat and that might be daunting to some. But don't worry . . . I'm usually the fattest guy on any trail and even though it felt tough and I was sucking air, I still made it with relative ease. I'd say pretty much anyone except for those with real knee issues or the very extreme unfit could handle this hike.

I completed this hike with my girlfriend on Saturday, Feb. 11th and the trail was in great shape. Weather has been a little unseasonably warm lately, so there was no ice or snow, and there were only a few spots that looked like they could get muddy. I'd like to do it again in the mid/late spring when the grass is greener, as the overall color palette on the hike was the brown of winter grasslands. There are pretty good views of the areas between Longmont and Lyons, as well as what I'm assuming to be the Berthoud/Loveland area on the opposite side. Even though the views are not "spectacular" compared to other areas in Colorado, this was still a fun hike in the outdoors.

I did this hike in conjunction with the Thompson River Overlook. The trail was frozen with fresh snow and beautiful. Very ease for the miles and not a lot of elevation gain.

I'd rate this hike easy, not moderate. It has nice views from afar of the continental divide and Long's Peak, but the hike itself is more of a Mesa and through scrub brush. Nothing really special, but a nice day out if all you want is an easy ramble.

a nice easy trail that didn't take more than an hour and half or so. We took some random unmarked trail just off the loop. The views were great and the landscape was very interesting!! We saw part of the teepee circles it was pretty awesome to take a step back in time! Will surely go again if ever in the area!

lots of easy uphill with well maintained trails. hiked it with 5 kids

This trail is also listed as "Eagle Wind" on AllTrails.

I love the scenery and diverse terrain on this relatively short hike. The trail circles a plateau, from which portions of the foothills as well as local farm and quarry land can be seen. Like a photograph on a bright day! I also enjoyed having sections of stone, brush, and forest all within the same short trail.

One fellow hiker noted that there are several teepee rings that can be found along this trail. Research in advance what you're looking for, and you may be able to get a glimpse at local history.

Couldn't find it actually. Was lead on this rocky road, not for Honda accords, couldn't find any parking lot. Abandoned and went to Rabbit Mtn. Was told 2 different trip times by google maps -- 16 minutes from Longmont and then 20 min. from Rabbit Mtn. Go figure.

I am amending this- this trail is at Rabbit Mtn.
Google leads you to the wrong place.

We prefer hikes in the mountains, but always wanted to give Rabbit Mountain a try. I'm 62, and was accompanied by my 15-yr-old grandson hiking buddy, Dillon. I was able to keep up with him at a fairly fast pace at times. We enjoyed being outdoors and each other's company, but probably will not hike this one again. But we are pleased to add it to our list of completed hikes.

Loop had pretty panoramic views. Saw people painting. It wasn't busy, which was the best part but I wouldn't do it again.