Quartz Lake

Quartz Lake is a 9 mile out and back trail located near Pagosa Springs, CO and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until September.

A very good hike with a diverse scenery. Lots of cool wild life too. I would not say that this is a hard hike. My girlfriend, our 2 dogs, the Pomeranian and I did it in 4 1/2 hours an even had a nice lunch up at the lake. The trail head is marked as Little Blanco.

This was my first backpacking trip. I went with my ex who is an experienced backpacker/survival guide. It was extremely challenging. I did injure myself on this trip (my own fault). When we were in sight of the lake, I got off the trail, slipped on some loose gravel, and went down deeply cutting my knee (so be careful!). Good thing we had a good first-aid kit. We ended up staying and camping out that night since we had worked so hard to get there. Beautiful lake. Not a lot of loose firewood. Definitely not for beginners. We had a herd of elk come through our campsite that night.