Ptarmigan Trail

Ptarmigan Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silverthorne, CO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is not 4.0 miles to the top and back. It is actually 12.4 miles round trip. We enjoyed the hike, but it was a long hike. Beautiful views of the entire Lake Dillon valley. One of the best views in the county.

I went a couple of weekends ago. Great fall hike with awesome views of Lake Dillon and the Aspen trees. We did the whole loop, about 7 miles. You can stop at an overlook and the hike is less than half of that!

Wow. What a fun and enjoyable hike. It took us about 2 1/2 hours up to the bench and back. Great views of Lake Dillon in the town of Silverthorne.

One of the most scenic fall hikes in Summit County!

According to the tracker it's .8 miles up until you level off to a moderate climb. Which makes sense because the sign says 3.2 miles to the end of trail. If the incline was in NYS no one would give it a second thought

We did this after being in Colorado 5 days -so somewhat adjusted to altitude but not fully. We loved the hike. The beginning is out in the open -sunblock is a good idea. Then the slope becomes much more gentle and rambles through aspen and mixed aspen and pine forests. There are stunning views throughout. Per my phone it was 3 miles to the bench-you cross a creek then go up a steep final slope then you are at the bench with beautiful views -great for a picnic lunch.

Great hike for us to get accustomed to the altitude coming in from sea-level. Good views of I70, Lake Dillon, wildflowers, aspens the whole trip. We found the bench to be closer to 5 mile round trip.

Good hike. Pretty transitions between pine and aspen forests. Reviews are accurate with the first half to three-quarter mile. Not easy for the novice or casual hiker.

The first half mile is a steep ass kicker, but there are plenty of wild flowers to check out when you're taking breaks. We started later in the day so we only went about 2.5 miles out to a beautiful scenic outlook marked by a tree bench. Stunning views.

Great hike. The first half mile or so is tough on the legs, but it does even out some after that. Lots of hummingbirds whizzing by and wildflowers. The views from the get go are great, as you get higher up there are other great views through the trees. I crossed 2 streams and stopped after 2.5 miles where there was a tree bench and enjoyed the views before turning back. I would go back again to hike further than before.

Great hike with our dogs! Steep for the first half mile and then it's very flat and extremely gorgeous. The scenery changes frequently and is always beautiful. There was no clear ending or major lookout point, we went 2.5 miles in and just decided to turn around because the trail just continues on. However, everything was gorgeous so we didn't care.

Love this trail!

I would probably Rate this hike as moderate especially if you are from a low altitude environment. I came within .2 tenths of a mile from completing but was obstructed by the snow, which at 11k feet was deep and I did not have snow shoes. it was a beautiful hike and we'll worth the efforts. the views are breathtaking.