Pikes Peak from the Crags Trail

Pikes Peak from the Crags Trail is a 12.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Divide, CO that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

The shortest free hiking route up Pikes Peak From the parking lot you will see the sign for the Crags trailhead. Begin hiking down this trail. After a tenth of a mile you will see a sign on the right labeling trail 664A take this trail across a log bridge and begin your ascent. This trail will take you into a basin at the base of the peak, then it will aggressively gain elevation up to Devil's Playground. As you reach Devil's Playground the rest of the route to the summit comes into view. The ridge is a long and gradual hike. As you hike the ridge you must cross the Pikes Peak Tollway and stay on the Northeast side of the road. The road is regularly patrolled and you will be fined if caught hiking on it. The last bit of trail to the summit is a steep rocky section. Keep your eyes open for cairns that mark the trail. If you stay on the trial this section isn't bad, but if you lose the trail you're in for some tough rock scrambling. At the summit rest in the summit house and return the way you came.

Did this trail on 21 October; beautiful weather; no snow on trail, in fact didn't see much snow at all!
Especially liked the boulder field at the end toward the summit. All of us (17 yr old and 13 yr old) felt the altitude. Started at 1140, summit at about 3:15, rode the cog down. Highly recommended--

Great hike for our family!

It was a great hike!

She's a burner but worth every step

Nice scenic trail when skies are clear. Long out and back with some rock scrambling before the summit

NOT FOR HORSES... I am an experienced trail guide and horse trainer. My friend and I attempted the climb to Pikes Peak yesterday and had to turn back after only a 3 mile accent. We made it to Devils Playground and had a very dangerous trip down. Even with two sure-footed Horses, in the best shape of their lives, we had to dismount often so they could manage the trail easier. There are granite boulders the side of a small car you have to climb on/over just to make it thru the trail. Both of our Horses slipped, one has a scraped up knee (carpus joint) and multiple cuts on his legs from it.
The views are beautiful, but I will never be taking a horse back to this trail, and highly discourage anyone to attempt it via horseback. Perhaps some solid mules, but best of luck!

I am only rating this trail so low as a warning to other horse owners. Although this trail allows horses, I strongly advise any equestrians against attempting this trail. It is absolutely BRUTAL for a horse to attempt. I went out with just one other rider, both of us are seasoned trail riders and our horses are in fantastic shape. There are parts of the trail up to Devil's Head that are steep, slick, tall boulder climbs on a very narrow trail, with no way to cut around them. We got to the top of Devil's Playground and decided it was best to turn around as the difficulty looked like it was only going to get worse. The way down was treacherous. We we had to dismount several times to allow the horses to more safely climb down the rough parts. Both horses couldn't make it down one of the boulders without falling. My horse fell to his knees and slid the rest of the way down the boulder and left this trail with very cut up legs. Again, we are not rookies, we're well seasoned riders that have been on dozens of other trails (including 20 miles up two mountains in one day) around Colorado and this trip was a nightmare. Please do not bring your horses here. This is a beautiful place with incredible views, but just hike it if you want to go here.

Hiked up this trail and down Barr today. This one is really the better trail for those who wish to have solitude while hiking. The snow at the top in the boulder field is at least knee deep which makes the ascent dicey. Probably only seasoned hikers should attempt the summit at this point.

Fantastic trail!!! Just did it today!!! Started out at 5:30 and still hit storms. Started around 10:45 hail and thunder and was scary! Weather said it was not supposed to move in until mid afternoon!!! Recommend the trail totally!! Amazing and beautiful. We hike fast and pretty advanced so recommend starting VERY early like 3/4 this time of year. Storms blow in fast and out of nowhere!

One thing to note, this distance is from the Crags, not from the trailhead. We ventured out with three kids and did not make it to the summit, the 5 year old (hikes often) was too tired to continue. we made it to the boulder field at just over 7 miles and turned around. would love to try it again without the kids. we did 14.5 miles round trip from the trailhead and still had 700 vertical feet and what looked like about 1 mile remaining to the summit. incredible beautiful views. highly recommended, but certainly a difficult trail

Wow!! What a great trail to the summit!! Saw mountain goats and marmots. Loved it!!! My 1st 14er.

Completed this 8/2/16. Perfect weather. Have hiked Barr Trail 4 times in about 12 hrs and have run up Barr Trail via the Ascent several times.
The third mile was a kicker due to the incline and some feet issues.
Lost the trail at the top through the Boulder section - could not find the path despite the obvious huge pile of rocks guiding the way! Wasted an hour wandering over boulders. On the way down it was a piece of cake and we saw the boulder trail - very obvious on the way down!!!

Hiked it with my wife and enjoyed the scenery from every angle. Awesome! It took us 6 hrs round trip with a break at the Summit House for lunch!!!

Wow! amazing hike. This was my first 14er and it was awesome. First 2 to 3 hours were tough. Hiked it yesterday and I am feeling it today. Saw mountain goats! Took us about 10 hrs round trip.

I just did this hike with my friend Cliff L yesterday (7/16). I was a little nervous as this was my first attempt at a 14er.

I will have to say, this was an awesome hike and I will be doing it again. What a feeling of accomplishment. There is a stretch coming out of tree line that is pretty tough because the elevation gain is great and straight up (no switch backs). But once over that part it is unbelievable through the bowls.

The last part, bouldering to summit, was a neat experience. I could tell that the lack of oxygen was getting to me as I felt a little tipsy at times. Just had to get a couple big breaths into the lungs.

Great fun and a great day with a patient hiking buddy. We completed round trip in 8 hours. 5 hours up, 3 hours down.

I hiked this trail on 6/6 and the road, parking lot and trail are all open. They are still doing some tree removal so camping is limited for right now. If you are just looking for a day hike, you should have no problem. The trail is great, well maintained. It is a beautiful hike (but coming from a guy from west, Texas every hike in Colorado is beautiful.)

The one trail takeaway that I have is once you get to the Pikes Peak toll road the trail fades so pay attention to the cairns. After the Devils Playground you will come to a few switch backs and then the large rocks leading to summit. While this is not an easy climb, if you follow the cairns it is easier.

I solo claimed this is 3 1/2 hours and began at 5:30. I don't normally rush a hike but I had plans with family that afternoon so I had to push. Don't let the middle section of this climb intimidate you, it is worth the effort to eat a few of those Pikes Peak doughnuts!