Piedra River Trail

Piedra River Trail is a 11 mile point-to-point trail located near Pagosa Springs, CO that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, fly fishing, and horses and is accessible from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

11.0 miles 1473 feet Point to Point

fly fishing

rock climbing

I would definitely recommend this for beginners. My friend and I backpacked 2.5 miles in and set up camp next to the river. There was a loose herd of cows hanging around (cows=cow patties=stinky). The wild raspberries are abundant and tasty! Highly trafficked trail. We had a blast!

rock climbing

Go during every season and experience a different trail. The winter is the best. The Waterfall is amazing and if you go at the right time. You'll find the waterfall to be around 20'-30' in diameter and an amazing blue/green. The climbing is excellent. Don't TR through the chains or locals will do something about it.

This was my husband and mines first trail in Pagosa since we moved here a few months ago. Hiking in December you'd expect lots of snow pack and ice. Unfortunately it's been unseasonally warm so a good portion of the trail was thick mud. Other than that the trail was pretty easy and very pretty. This is a good trail for beginners or those that would prefer a simple hike to enjoy a beautiful view.

Beautiful! Lovely views! We hiked with 13 fun loving gals and had a blast.

Beautiful trail! We only hiked a few miles in Oct. 2011 but definitely plan on going back to do more of the trail.

Wondrous canyon views. My favorite hike I've ever experienced. Will hike it several times every time I'm in Pagosa!

My wife and I love this trail - we've only hiked in 5 miles or so from the North trailhead and maybe 3 miles from the South trailhead but we plan to backpack this several times this year as we train over the next few years to do a thru hike of the CT - well at least me anyway :-)

Great one, did in winter twice. It's only about 1.5 km to the wonderful waterfall, so you do not have to do the whole trail.

My favorite trail run when I was there this week as many other nice trails were closed due to the West Fork Complex fires. The scenery is stunning with a mix of high canyon walls, trees and meadows - all along the river with wooden bridges. The hills were manageable and kept the run a challenge. It did not appear that mountain bikes were allowed. If you are in Pagosa, this trail needs to be on your list.

Great trail! From the north trailhead, about a mile of great rock formations in the river canyon. It's a little up and down, but not too bad. Then several miles of broad mountain meadows, easy hiking with tons of birds, chipmunks, and lots of various wildflowers in the morning. A few fly fisherman were doing catch and release on a side creek going into the Piedra (near wooden bridge in meadow). Highly recommended, with many different river environments.

Hiked the first three miles with my wife, we took the lower fork. The trail is well marked and in excellent condition. At 3/4 mile there is nice river access in a scenic canyon. This first part of the trail appears to be heavily used. This is a great place to bring the young family. Further on there are several good fly fishing spots. Easy out and back hike or straight through.