Pawnee Pass Trail

Pawnee Pass Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nederland, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

9.7 miles 2099 feet Out & Back

fly fishing

Directions from Ward: Take Brainard Lake Road (CR #102) to the Long Lake Trailhead.

Has anyone CAMPED off of this trail? It looks like once you walk past the continental divide pass, you get into an area where you can camp. Prior to that, the trail is in a "4 Lakes No Camp Zone". We're thinking of hiking to Pawnee Lake (across the continental divide pass and camping there and then hiking back the next day (we're from WI and I'm sure it will take us longer to hike). We'll be in Colorado (Fraser/Estes Park) for 3 or so days prior to the hike, so we should be pretty acclimated to the altitude.

Amazing hike

Great beautiful trail run.. had to start at front gate Parking.. and run the snowshoe trail so total was 25km to the pass and back

15 miles ?
I don't think so. It's about 8.5 round trip, I think ? Great trail.

I did not complete this trail up to Pawnee Pass but rather took the fork at Lake Isabelle and onto the Isabelle Glacier Trail. However the Pawnee Pass trail up until the fork is a beautiful trail that is fairly level as it meanders to Long Lake and Lake Isabelle. This trail has it all. From a babbling brook, changing aspen leaves (I did this hike in September), low growing orange and yellow shrubs/bushes, two perfectly light blue alpine lakes, and all this surrounded by 13,000 foot mountain peaks with patches of snow at the top. It is a breathtaking trail and can be enjoyed without heading up to the pass or to Isabelle Glacier. A person can turn around at either of the lakes and still have experienced the classic beauty of the Rockies without having to ascend any steep switchbacks.

This is my FAVORITE trail. I come up every year multiple times. The beauty you see along the way is mesmerizing!!

loved this trail!

7/13/16. Easy to moderate hike with stunning, wide open views nearly the entire way. All things considered, one of my favorite hikes. We did the Pass and the wind was strong. It actually blew me over once (132lbs). Because the peak was only another 0.5 miles, we went for it and found a stone barrier to sit and have our lunch at the top. Marmots and wildflower abound. We missed a young bull Moose by about 10 minutes on the way down. Highly recommend

Much closer to Netherland than Bellvue, co. Bellvue is north of RMNP, this is on the south end.

A great hike to Isabella Lake, in Indian Peaks Wilderness.

Hiked on 9/27/14. Great hike. Stunning views. At junction of Isabelle Lake/Pawnee Pass, trail becomes exposed and much more rocky to the top. More photos of pawnee pass trail at http://www.ohnophoto.com/pawnee-pass/

This area is like the Swiss Alps (perhaps even more Beautiful). Had to cross over some snow drifts to get up here even though it is mid July which made the trip even more fun. Great spectacular scenery. Well worth the effort.